Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Is the Multistrada a really good buy ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
acowsik
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:57 pm Reply with quote

Hi,

I am Ashwin, a 28 yr old guy based in Lombard, IL. I am originally from India and I have 5 years of motorcycle riding experience and I have not ridden anything more than 250cc as they don't sell any higher capacity bikes there. I had a 225cc 5 speed Honda.

I have been in the US for about 2 1/2 yrs now and I am looking at getting a good sports motorcycle. I had a couple of models in mind to choose from which were the Honda CBR1000, Suzuki GSX1000R and the Ducati Multistrada to ensure I am comparing bikes having a similar engine capacity. I am 5'8" tall, 150 lbs.

I am mainly looking at getting one for regular street riding in my area and the occasional long distance trip on the freeways. Is the Multistrada a good choice compared to the Honda or Suzuki ? Is the maintenance cost less compared to Honda and Suzuki ?

Also I read about issues with the bike namely the fuel gauge warning problem that is present even on the 2008 model and also the suspension failure.

Should I wait for Ducati to release the 2009 version to see if these issues have been fixed as I am not in a rush to buy a bike and I dont mind waiting before plunging a lot of hard earned cash on a bike.

Helpful advice is much appreciated.

Ashwin
tenracing
MTS: 2008 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:07 pm Reply with quote

I have an 08 with no issues on the fuel guage, love the bike, it is in for its first service, (little late 1100 miles on it now) it is a great bike for all around riding...

SMunch
MTS: 2007 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:08 pm Reply with quote

Hate to say it, but I think you might be getting in a bit over your head with a GSXR1000 or any liter bike for that matter. The bike is not designed for long trips. It's a track bike, plain and simple. I'm not certain you need a bike capable of 170 mph in Lombard - but I could be wrong Smile

Also, considering you have not ridden anything over a 250, and I'm guessing those were rather restricted power-wise. If you have your heart set on a sportbike, look at a 750. Nible yet powerful enough to do what you need it to do. The money you save on a 750 over a 1000 will get your great gear.

I'd serioulsy consider 620 multi, as it will handle your street riding, and occassional long rides just great.

If you feel your skills are adequate, look at the 1000 multi.

Whatever you do, take your time. Think about it long and hard. Try and demo a few bikes (just make sure you have insurance coverage). You'll be surprised how easily the front end will come up on a liter bike).

Good luck!
acowsik
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:57 pm Reply with quote

Thanks guys for ur inputs...

I am looking to buy a 2008 or newer model bike and among Ducatis, the Multistrada appealed to me in the looks and features (wet plate clutch is one of the few features which I found to be unique and will improve transmission life). The Monster 696 was another option I had in mind but the looks put me off..

I also find that the Ducatis are relatively lighter even for the 1000cc bikes and also have a lower compression ratio (10 to 11 is about right) than the Hondas and Suzukis which reduce the knocking in the engines. I prefer a lighter vehicle for easier manoeuvring on roads.. The bike I had was about 350lbs.

Also I dont seem to understand the reason behind the statement.. "You'll be surprised how easily the front end will come up on a liter bike". Can you explain a bit more please.
SMunch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:45 am Reply with quote

People think they want a GSXR1000 because their friends think they are "cool" bikes or the best because they are the fastest. I agree, they are indeed. However, again, they are designed for the track. I ride with alot of local racers on my Monster S4R. I see alot of new guys running out and buying these, just to find them up on craigslist or in some salvage form because they wrapped them around a tree in the first 150 miles of ownsership.

The bikes are a beast, twist the throttle in any gear, and the nose will indeed come up. In the wrong/inexperienced hands, they bike can be deadly. Heck any bike can, but I think a GSXR1000 is best ridden by someone with alot more experience than some who's only ridden a 225cc bike. Took my buddies 1000 out for a quick ride last track day 0-100 in second gear. The bike is incredibally unstable exiting corners under hard accleration because of the power. It's "almost" unusuable. Granted, he races monthly, so he's used to it.

I honestly think you'd be happier and have a better bike riding/ownership experience if you got something between what you had before and something below the GSXR. You get alot more out of the bike if you can ride it to "your" full potential, rather than never being able to ride the bike to its full potential. You'll never use more than 1/3 of the capabilities of a GSXR1000 unless you're on the track, and have had extensive track days.

An experienced rider with good skills on a 600cc bike will more than likely outride an inexperienced rider on a 1000cc bike. Only expection would be a straight line race.

Again, if you're stuck on the sportbike, get something manageable. A new 750 would be ideal. It's quite nimble in corners, has the power to still get you into trouble, but will save you plenty of cash. Take the cash and buy some good gear: leathers, gloves, helmet, and boots. Take a advanced riding class and really learn how to ride it. Trus t me, you'll be alot happier on a bike that you can handle vs one that's over your head. You can always upgrade.

I just happened to look - stock horsepower on a 2008 GSXR1000 - 160. That's insane!!

I went from a Honda Interceptor 500 to a CBR600, to an FZR 600, to a GSXR750, to a Ducati 996, to a Monster S4R (996 motor), and now to my 1100S Multistrada. I've been riding dirtbikes since I was 8 years old, thats going on 30 years of riding...

Take it with a grain of salt. In the end you have to live with whatever decision you make.

Good luck!
acowsik
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:58 am Reply with quote

Smunch... u seem to be a really knowledgeable guy and I will take ur word for it..

I may have to go for the Ducati Monster 696 eventhough it does not look like a proper sports bike but is just about the right range for me to handle.

Apart from the headlight the bike looks pretty sleek and packs a good punch and has pretty decent features...

I dont know what the 2009 models have in terms of design improvements/changes but if its worth the wait, I dont mind. Also considering that its almost half the cost of a Multistrada, I guess its a good buy.
PhilipMSPT
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:32 am Reply with quote

The Multistrada is a good buy because of:

(a) Ducati commaraderie = the Ducatista community, heritage, and loyalty has no match. Only Harley Davidson has the same type of community, but mainly in the U.S. Ducati is more worldwide.

(b) Uniqueness = yes, you can get similar (and better) sport touring bikes, moreso with the 620 competition instead of the 1000/1100. But none have been tuned specifically more for sport than touring, with the look and sound that is signature to the Ducati make.

(c) Practicality = ease of use, ergonomic riding position, excellent forward visibility/height, enough power and torque for everyday use, inexpensive to insure, and comfortable passenger accommodation.

(d) Multistrada.net = 'nuff said. Mr. Green

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:26 am Reply with quote

I may get flamed for this:
what about a Suzuki DL650 V-Strom? I do wish Ducati would make an entry level 696 Multistrada? Who wouldn't? Pity, they are only doing the 696 Mostro as the only entry level bike.
Anyway, I also agree with SMunch, you don't need 1000HP bikes to enjoy the fundamental elements of riding.
I'm thinking Suzuki USA cause they are cheap there compared to Aus?
Good luck,
Steve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:55 am Reply with quote

ascowsik,
Take a look at the Multistrada 620. There are plenty around used with low miles on them and if you look hard enough there's even a few new bikes that are left over.

This is more then enough bike for your level of riding with out spending 10 to 14k on a bike. Probably less then half that. Think

If you still like the Multi, upgrade to an 1100 after you have put some miles on the 620.

If you travel this road you won't be disappointed. The Multi is unique and not everyone has one.

Good luck,
Eric

PS: Get the red ones, they are faster! Wink
SMunch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:55 pm Reply with quote

I used to think the 696 we're ugly, then I saw one with a tail chop, Termis, and some nicely done mods, and its a great looking bike! I'll dig up the pictures from the DucatiMonsterForum...
Sonic Duck
MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:49 pm Reply with quote

SMunch wrote:
I used to think the 696 we're ugly, then I saw one with a tail chop, Termis, and some nicely done mods, and its a great looking bike! I'll dig up the pictures from the DucatiMonsterForum...

Also, be sure to see one in person. I was a bit put off by it in pictures but it's really stunning in person, IMHO of course. Smile
SMunch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:16 pm Reply with quote

http://flickr.com/photos/27424259@N06/2556049285/sizes/o/

Is a nice one, he has other pics at:

http://flickr.com/photos/27424259@N06/

BTW...Not sure how familiar you are with flickr, but if you want 1024x768 versions, just click the "All Sizes" button above the picture.
Sonic Duck
MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:26 pm Reply with quote

acowsik wrote:

I had a couple of models in mind to choose from which were the Honda CBR1000, Suzuki GSX1000R and the Ducati Multistrada to ensure I am comparing bikes having a similar engine capacity. I am 5'8" tall, 150 lbs.

CC's aren't the end all be all. The water cooled 4 valve four cylinders are pumping out over 150 HP while the air coooled 2 valve two cylinder in a Multi puts out less than 100. That's apples and oranges even if they happen to have comparable engine sizes.

Personally I would buy something cheap and used. Good clean used bikes are aplenty right now and can be had for a song. The chances of you dropping the bike are high, granted not a given but new riders have a habit of being ground magnets...even in their own driveways. Cheap bikes have cheap parts which will make repairs a little easier to swallow. I would also look to a Japanese bike since, with the internet, used parts you probably need can be had on ebay/fourms for dirt cheap. I have a 2007 R6 I'm going to use for track days and have put together a whole spares kit (clipons, rear sets, levers) for about $100. My buddy whose putting his 748 to track duty curses every time I buy something for the R6 since he's easily paying double for the same. I even picked up a package deal of a gas tank, full Ti exhaust system, front fairing stay (big complicated thing on a R6), gauge cluster, and power commander for $1000. Near impossible to do in Ducati land but I see deals like that all the time on the R6 fourms and ebay.

Another advantage to used is you don't lose so much in depreciation. My first "real" bike was a 250 Ninja (had a YSR50 before that) I bought when I was 15 for $1600.00 and sold it at 16 to buy a car and got $1800.00 for it. Did nothing to it but changed the oil once and put a set of tires on it. Once you start riding, you'll get a better idea of what you really want so your first bike probably won't be around more than a year or two. It's a good idea to keep that in mind.

Speaking of the 250 Ninja, I'm 5'10" and 275lbs now, I wasn't far off of that back when I had the Ninja (since I was playing football back then the fat % was a little different Wink) and I still think it was one of the best choices I ever made. With a lack of horsepower and a lazy geometery, the bike righted itself in a lot situations that were over my head and where a "modern" sportbike would've put me on my arse. Yes it was a little girly (even in black and red Wink), yes it was a little slow but it taught me how to really ride a motorcyle instead of letting horsepower do the work. It was gone a year later and I've gone through 10+ bikes in the last 20+ years but I still am thankful for my 250 Ninja experience.

Finally, GEAR GEAR GEAR GEAR!
Spend the money you save by buying used and get GREAT gear. Don't get anything to match the bike, stick with blacks and neutral colors since you'll probably keep the gear longer than your first bike. Personally I don't care to be dressed in neon green and riding a red bike. Wink

Since you probably don't know what's good and what's not, here's what I suggest...and yes peanut gallery, there are many other choices and probably many cheaper but this is what I trust my arse to just from what I've seen and experienced between riding and being a pit monkey:

Helmet - Arai. All I will wear. Saved my life when a truck pulled out in front of me and I went head first into a curb. Seen great things out of Shoeis too but can't speak to their current models.

Jacket/Leathers - Lots of choices here, I wear Dainese when I can get it to fit but Alpinestars is good as well. If you are looking for a suit, there are plenty of places to get a nice custom suit. Barnicle Bill's is pretty much universally the best bang for the buck (if not a little crude overall). Most importantly, get something with a back protector. Your spine isn't build for the abuse a motorcycle can give, good idea to put some armor over it.

Gloves - Held and the better Alpinestars. I've had a few of the Dainese gloves over the years and haven't been impressed overall.

Boots - Sidi. They are the business. Alpinestars makes some nice ones to.

Wow, sorry, I didn't mean to get so long winded...I'll step down off my soap box now Mr. Green
acowsik
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:48 pm Reply with quote

Thanks a lot guys for all the advice and opinions.. I will mostly end up a buying a new 600 to 700cc bike sometime next year. I am not into race modding and I prefer riding a stock bike but I may change some accessories (with official Ducati ones only) depending on what model I buy.

Once Ducati announce their 2009 model lineup, I will make up my mind but based on current availability, my money is on the Monster 696.
mandrbarrett
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:35 pm Reply with quote

Come on mate, this is a Website for people who love their Ducatis, and in particular for people who love their Multistradas. What did you expect us to say?

Oh and by the way its quite a good bike.