Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: 2008 vs. 2009
Rup
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:23 pm Reply with quote

Other than color, I understand that there are no changes between '08 and '09 1100s. If this is correct, could someone advise on, given future resale value, whether it makes much of a difference.

Thanks.
mollycbr123
MTS: 2008 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:11 pm Reply with quote

Rup wrote:
Other than color, I understand that there are no changes between '08 and '09 1100s. If this is correct, could someone advise on, given future resale value, whether it makes much of a difference.

Thanks.

I've always used the Motorcycle Consumer News used bike value guide as a starting point when buying or selling a used bike. Sometimes there is a considerable difference in the suggested resale value from one MY to the next, and sometimes there isn't.

'12 Multistrada S Touring
Yes, I do miss my air cooled multi...
Brand spanking new '16 Thruxton R
davidg
MTS: 2008 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:12 am Reply with quote

The '07s are the same also. But if you want a white one...........
Rup
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:23 pm Reply with quote

I really don't have a color preference. I was only trying to name the only change for the '09 model year, or see if color was relevant to price. I am more interested in appropriate price differences between new bikes from the three model years. Does resale (which appears problematic with this bike) value change noticeably based on year, or only on mileage. If it changes, by how much. Or, to put it another way, should one pay less (and how much) for new bikes from earlier model years?
mollycbr123
MTS: 2008 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:15 pm Reply with quote

MSRP on a particular new bike may not change from one year to the next, but the dealer's desire to sell might. If he has a new '07 or '08 collecting dust on the sales floor, he may want to move them to make room for the '09 models heading in.

But then, I bought my '08 Multi new in December of '07. It had only been on the dealer's floor for a few days when I started negotiating for it, and I got what I considered an excellent deal, including a generous trade-in allowance on my very clean '06 ST3. The only reason I could figure that I got such a sweet deal on a new MY Multi (besides my good looks) was that it was the dead of winter.

As far as resale, I don't think MY alone affects this as much as condition of the bike, mileage, service records (or lack of), and of course buyer/seller motivation. A clean, low mileage '07 multi may sell for more than a road-worn '08.

My 0.02

'12 Multistrada S Touring
Yes, I do miss my air cooled multi...
Brand spanking new '16 Thruxton R
Rup
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:37 am Reply with quote

Pretty close to a decision. But, having read extensively in the "Problems" forum, I wanted to know if anyone thinks that one model year carries a higher risk of mechanical problems than another. Are there a higher number of problems with 2008s than other years?

Also, plenty of people have said the bike is fine in town or city traffic. This will include quite a bit of travel at under 4000 RPMs. Sorry to be blunt, but do I need (as opposed to want) to install a FatDuc, or different pipes, to be comfortable at lower RPMS?
lotus54
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:00 am Reply with quote

Didn't they change to Siemens ECUs in '09?
Or is that other models.

Mark

Beta XTrainer 300
46Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:09 am Reply with quote

gonna kinda ramble here......don't buy a bike based on its re-sale value. when i bought my 999, i naively thought that if i decided i'd made a mistake, it'd hold its value and i'd be able to unload it. wrong. they shitcanned the terblanche design and you can find them for near half what they were. what may be desirable for you won't necessarily be desirable for someone else especially on a controversial model like the MTS. in the past, limited editions of bikes (MH900e for example) usually helped with its value and in general, the Harley's also held their value and in some instances appreciated (MCN tables). With the rumored discounts coming this year to HD, i'd expect it to have a deleterious effect on used bike values. I have no background in this, just the feeling that if you can get a new HDat a say 20% discount from MSRP, then why buy used. I'm using this example to extrapolate with other brands.

Having said that, as others have said, 07-09 are basically the same except color. i know here in VA, you'd be better of with the 07 because of the lower personal property tax assessment.

the 08 has the dash issue and the fuel gage issue. as Rup said, get the FatDuc, best $80 you'll spend on a bike

and like Steve (mollycbr123) said, if your bike is beat vs mint does alot to the value

No Multistrada

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:37 am Reply with quote

Quote:
the 08 has the dash issue and the fuel gage issue

Figured out the value issue. Pretty simple, just don't sell it. OK, I get that. Wink I have seen the posts trying to sell the 2007. But I have also seen the same type of posts for every bike I am considering. Bottom line: throw out about 1/3 of the purchase price for stock, and that's resale value with or without add ons. If I can live with that, I'm OK. So much for value. Shocked Very Happy

Now is there a "dash issue" or a "fuel gage" issue with the 2008s ? Are there other issues? If you answered yes to either of the foregoing questions, or if there are other mechanical or electronic issues with the 1100s, please tell me.

If buying a 2009 instead of a 2008 would help me avoid those issues, or make them less likely, please tell me.

Any other advice like "avoid these VINs" would be useful if it exists. Thanks.
46Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:45 am Reply with quote

Rup wrote:

Now is there a "dash issue" or a "fuel gage" issue with the 2008s ? Are there other issues? If you answered yes to either of the foregoing questions, or if there are other mechanical or electronic issues with the 1100s, please tell me.

If buying a 2009 instead of a 2008 would help me avoid those issues, or make them less likely, please tell me.

Any other advice like "avoid these VINs" would be useful if it exists. Thanks.

I can only speak for me, though i know there are others that have had these. my 2008 has a bad gage cluster - the clock doesn't show the numbers and if it does, it doesn't keep time anyway. i think this kinda stuff might be the reason the new monsters have Siemens computers and dashes and not Marelli. My dealer's aware of the issue. Also, the fuel gage thing is common, but there's a fix out there. You fire up the bike, it reads the accurate fuel amount and like 2 minutes later, it goes to reading zero fuel. The fix is a resistor replacement. I haven't had it done yet so i don't know if it works but it has for others. i also don't know if the 2009 addresses either issue. you'd think it would, but we're talking about ducati.

as for mechanical issues, i had one leaky camshaft cover and it was due to a cut oring, simple fix, no problems since

MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:43 am Reply with quote

There's no difference between the 07 and the 08, and as far as I know, nothing new for the 09 apart from the colour options.

Some bikes have dash problems, and some don't. Mine doesn't, apart from the really crappy clock. That just amuses me - how can a digital clock be so inaccurate?

My bike is totally stock standard. I got it new as old floor stock in April 08 and have done 12000 km, about 8000 in long trips and 4000 in daily commuting (generally under 3500rpm).

There have been absolutely no problems, except those I've caused myself - such as after just 2 days ownership and without having looked at the owners manual re removal of the fairing, dropping the key down beside the triple clamp and having it disappear into mechanical abyss... does anyone else find that ignition location a significant design flaw?
Mutis1100ss
MTS: 2007 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:26 am Reply with quote

vacey wrote:

There have been absolutely no problems, except those I've caused myself - such as after just 2 days ownership and without having looked at the owners manual re removal of the fairing, dropping the key down beside the triple clamp and having it disappear into mechanical abyss... does anyone else find that ignition location a significant design flaw?

YES!

No Multistrada

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:20 pm Reply with quote

[quote="Mutis1100ss"]
vacey wrote:

When I read this I nearly fell of my chair laughing as it happened to me on my Aprilia Caponord at a filling station.
Had to phone the missus to bring the spare key and get here to watch whilst i rode back to see if it dropped out, it didnt so had to take the side fairing and rad cowling off to get the sodden thing.

MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:47 pm Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I'd just stopped to admire a view on a very quiet back road. Riding by myself, no spare key, no mobile phone coverage. Can't think why I even bothered taking the key out of the ignition. Just habit I guess.

Result was half an hour scrabbling around in the dirt trying to peer past the front wheel to see where the bloody thing had lodged, figure out how to remove the fairing, hook out the key with a length of ferncing wire etc etc.

I've been very careful ever since, but even with my delicate, girly little hands, I find accessing the ignition key slot down past the risers a challenge.