Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Fuel Range
RideOregon
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:31 pm Reply with quote

I'm currently looking at the Multi. My current ST2 will get 50 mpg, over 200 miles to the tank. What would one expect to achieve with the Multi?
Doc
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:42 pm Reply with quote

Hi there,

The fuel range is directly affected and/or limited by what your right wrist is/will be doing Wink . Having said that, I have an overall average of 300km per tank (that's 20 liters), but the max and minimum I've ever got are: 200km on a tank (highly "spirited" riding --> mostly with more than just illegal speeds Embarassed Whistle ) and 370km on a tank while touring with a pillion and admiring the scenery Smile .

The overall rule is somewhere in the region of 16-17km/liter.

Cheers,

Doc

Multibound

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:09 pm Reply with quote

Hey Doc that guy is from Oregon so its not liters there in the states.
But after doing my trusty conversion it looks to be about 38mpg. Cool
On average you will see about 35-40 with some folks higher and some lower depending on the riding.

drifter
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:19 pm Reply with quote

During breakin I got 35-38 mpg, but it was also on local freeway rides, with a lot of cold start and aggressive passing. On a nice steady open road ride up the freeway mostly at indicated 85 mph I got 45 mpg.
I was certainly hoping the Duc with it's modern technology would do a lot better than my '77 Airhead, especialy since the tank is so small. It may still improve as it gets more miles, too.
I see a gallon fuel can in the future for trips to unfamiliar areas, or long stretches like US 50 across Utah/Nevada.
The fuel gauge says it's all gone by 120-150 miles, and it takes only 3 gallons and a litle more to fill up when that happens, so going by the low average of maybe 40 mpg and the trip odometer seems the best. There will be places that require more like 200 miles between fillups.

RideOregon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:46 pm Reply with quote

I'm a little surprised at the difference. I thought the dual spark motor would offer at least the same efficiency as my 2 valve ST. Even if you factor in that one bike has full fairing and one not. When the ST is ridden fast and aggressive, I still have no problems seeing 40 mpg.

steve in eugene
steveberde
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:46 pm Reply with quote

I live in the Spokane area and travel the roads of British Columbia and the remote ares of Oregon and Washington - we ride aggressively - I'd say you'd better not plan on going more than 125 miles on a tankful before you start looking for a fillup - true, if you're cruising gently you can possbly go further but we've run out of gas at 120 miles while riding the twisties in our area - unfortunately, you'll never get the 5 plus gallons in the bike - the most you'll get is 4.5 or less - I'd suggest you set the trip mileage setting at ever tankful and go by that - at 120 start looking for a stop to fill up or even at every 100 miles to feel perfectly safe - take it from me - it's no fun running out of gas in Eastern Oregon 50 miles from nowhere - I've been there- luckily a nice guy in a truck came by with a gas can - BTW are you going the Pacific NW Sportbike weekend at Stevenson in August?

Steve Berde
Spokane
Jantah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:05 am Reply with quote

Discussion about fuel octane rating split into a new topic:

Octane rating
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger Top
tarzan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:34 pm Reply with quote

I actually managed 200 miles to the tank through sheer luck (no petrol station). I am quite a fast driver so that didnt seem to affect it... Wouldn't want to do it again though (everything on the dash is blinking etc) Shocked
HowlinMad
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:19 am Reply with quote

Just filled up today, went 192 miles on 4.3 gallons, previous tank was 192 miles on 4.4 gallons, both riding to and from work about 65% above 60 mph. Just turned 1200 miles, seems to be getting slighty better every fillup.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:17 am Reply with quote

Just when you get used to the tank range and the bike you will run out completely after 175 miles! Smile I did.

Also when in Europe (the other part) I ran out completely, driving slow to get to the fuel stop, showing 400k as the range.

You can work out the mpg based on a 21 liter tank.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 2:53 pm Reply with quote

Steve,

Just finished a weekend trip with friends. The longest range on one tank was about 195 miles and it took 4.6 gallons. That's just over 42 mpg and came after spirited (75-85 mph) riding and crossing two 5000 foot passes. Of course, you'll go crazy with anxiety riding that far because the fuel light will be on for the last 75 miles. However, I've learned to ignore the light by just doing a mental calculation of what I know I can put in the tank multiplied by the digital readout of average mpg. Unless you're getting crazy with speed, I think you could figure on a solid 200 mile range.