Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Multi 1200 demo ride
Goto page 1, 2  Next
zookiman
MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:37 pm Reply with quote

Stopped by EuroSport Cycles in Ft Worth TX today. Took a test ride on a Multi 1200 standard Demo. OMG!!! I gotta have one of these! I have been waiting for a windy day to see how it handles a cross wind. Felt fine to me. As a matter of fact everything felt fine. How many bikes have you ever jumped on and felt comfy from start to finish? This thing is amazing. I'm more than pleased with the standard model. Its hard to imagine the sport model being 5g better. Guilty over indulgence I fear most. Besides I can't afford anything but a standard. I have my soul sale request in on the Devils web-site but no answer as yet. WOW! If yaz haven't test rode one yet, drop what you're doing and git-er-done! Then I won't be the only one selling my soul to own one...bye
mollycbr123
MTS: 2010 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:41 am Reply with quote

I had a very similar reaction when I took my test ride. At the time I was stranded in Greenville, SC, with a busted clutch line on my 1100s. I took advantage of the time waiting for the techs at Touring Sport BMW/Duc to fab up a new line to take a test spin on one of their 1200s. They showed me how all the buttons and switches worked, then waved and said have fun! When the thing pulled a third gear power wheelie at 70 mph heading down an entrance ramp, I was sold (and scared shitless!)

Thinking maybe it was just infatuation, I took another test ride a few weeks later in Charlotte. I followed one of the salesguys on his monster, and he really let us rip along some back roads. After that ride, I had to have one! I didn't have to sell my soul to get mine, but I did have to take a miserable beating on my nicely fitted '08 1100S.

I am afraid you have been smitten... Welcome to the club. Hope you get some hits on that website. Shocked

'12 Multistrada S Touring
Yes, I do miss my air cooled multi...
Brand spanking new '16 Thruxton R
torch
MTS: 2010 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:11 am Reply with quote

If you thought the test ride was great,you are in for a total head spinning blast once you get your own! It just gets better every time I ride it .you won't be able to stay off it .the engine and handling are top class.hope you get one soon . Laughing
bottomdog
MTS: 2010 1200S (Black)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:22 pm Reply with quote

torch wrote:
If you thought the test ride was great,you are in for a total head spinning blast once you get your own! It just gets better every time I ride it .you won't be able to stay off it .the engine and handling are top class.hope you get one soon . Laughing

+1
Steve B
MTS: 2010 1200 (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:16 pm Reply with quote

Having owned two previous generation Multistradas, I was very skeptical of the direction they were taking the new bike...then I rode one and it was all over.
TATTOO DESMO
MTS: 2010 1200S (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:49 pm Reply with quote

Steve B wrote:
Having owned two previous generation Multistradas, I was very skeptical of the direction they were taking the new bike...then I rode one and it was all over.

+1 same her love it! Mr. Green

1000ds ducati multi sold
TYRES// pirelli scorpion miles 4600
conit' road attack 2, miles 5000
Michelin pilot 3 miles 8000

miss the sound of the dry clutch!
2wheeljunkie
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:27 am Reply with quote

dam ,you guys are killin me !!!! Someone buy my BMW !
caveman26146
MTS: 2010 1200 (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:31 am Reply with quote

Just wait till you scare the pants off someone on a sportsbike of any make when you are 2up and having fun!
So easy to ride quickly you will giggle like a school girl at the other poor losers all hunched up and folded like a half opened pocket knife on their suzukayamskis while you blow'em away in comfort.
moby34
MTS: 2010 1200S (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:13 pm Reply with quote

As this was my 2nd bike, and really didn't have experience or knowledge on all the different bikes out there I was quite open minded when I first sat on one at the Motorcycle show. Felt just right. Didn't take but a month after that to make my way over to my local dealer to take a test ride. After stalling the engine (scared of flipping it over) it didn't take but a mile of riding to go back and start talking money. It was all over then, and haven't looked back. 19k miles in 19 months later and still can't stay off of it to allow my shoulders/neck to relax and heal.
'ducrider
MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:26 pm Reply with quote

I feel like I'm falling into the same trap, that I unwittingly set for myself...This past week, I had to go to LA for a business meeting and decided to take an extra day and rent a bike. Initially, I had paid for a Hypermotard 1100, but when it had to be repaired two days before my rental, I was given the option of taking their MTS1200 instead. Would I mind? the owner asked. Hell, no!
I put on 380 miles in 24hrs, 10hrs of which I was sleeping/resting or eating. I was tired from concentrating on the roads all day Thurs, but I can attest that the bike is "all day" comfortable. The handling was very good, although it probably could have used some tweaks to the suspension. I didn't have the tools or time to futz with it, so I just rode. The motor is fantastic. At first I was skeptical about the fuel mapping, but it turned out to be fun to play with. I kept it in Urban mode while in LA traffic, then switched to Touring when I got out of town. Left it in Touring all morning Thurs, then switched to Sport (AKA, Holy Shit!) mode in the afternoon. This thing is a rocket compared to my old MTS. I don't think I would have or could have ridden my 999 any faster on those canyon roads than I did the 1200. Very confidence inspiring bike that I would very much like to have a copy of in my garage.

So, Zookiman, what changed your mind? I assume you are still on your Gen 1?

06 749 (track)
07 KTM 400 XC-W (SOLD)
06 999S (SOLD)
01 SV650 (track - SOLD)
98 900SS FE (SOLD)
potomacduc
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:50 pm Reply with quote

Count me as another 1200 skeptic on the verge of conversion. One test ride removed most of my concerns. It is heavier than and not quite as nimble as the desmodue bikes, but I mostly forgot about that two minutes into the ride. The new Hyperstrada is giving me pause, but right now I am leaning towards buying a '13 this Spring.
'ducrider

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:50 pm Reply with quote

Agreed on the nimbleness count. I hopped on my 1st gen after returning from Calif and it was noticeably more "motard-ish."

So, if I buy a MTS1200, what to do with the Classic? It is running great, but has minimal resale having been stolen, crashed, tracked, dropped, and ridden 32k miles. Perhaps a little modification to make it into an urban assault/dirt ready adventure bike?
http://www.strada-avventurosa.com/

06 749 (track)
07 KTM 400 XC-W (SOLD)
06 999S (SOLD)
01 SV650 (track - SOLD)
98 900SS FE (SOLD)
The Duchess of Desmo
MTS: 2011 1200 (White)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:36 am Reply with quote

'ducrider wrote:
Agreed on the nimbleness count. I hopped on my 1st gen after returning from Calif and it was noticeably more "motard-ish."

So, if I buy a MTS1200, what to do with the Classic? It is running great, but has minimal resale having been stolen, crashed, tracked, dropped, and ridden 32k miles. Perhaps a little modification to make it into an urban assault/dirt ready adventure bike?
http://www.strada-avventurosa.com/

Make into a hyper Mr. Green

potomacduc
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:44 am Reply with quote

I'm with Carole; start ripping stuff off and make it a cross between a Hypermotard and a Monster...that can also double as a track bike.
'ducrider

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:13 am Reply with quote

potomacduc wrote:
I'm with Carole; start ripping stuff off and make it a cross between a Hypermotard and a Monster...that can also double as a track bike.

If I had any fabricating skills, I might try that, but I'm pretty lazy. I've see the "hyperstada" conversion thread here and all that monkey business with the headlight and battery location is more work than I want to do. And I have a 749 for the track that works pretty well, thanks. Razz

I'm having evil thoughts about trading the MTS in on one of these...I need to learn to ride in the dirt before I get too old to want to try. I could put some knobbies on the MTS, but that little 17" front just doesn't cut it off road.

06 749 (track)
07 KTM 400 XC-W (SOLD)
06 999S (SOLD)
01 SV650 (track - SOLD)
98 900SS FE (SOLD)