Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Too soon? A 1200S for a second bike
Goto page 1, 2  Next
aaron_s
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:13 pm Reply with quote

Hey all,

I'm a fairly new rider, with 2 months and 1300 miles under the belt. I have a Suzuki S40 (650cc single cylinder, 30hp, 380lbs). The only reason I haven't ridden more is because the bike is too small and uncomfortable for longer rides. The buzzy handlebars, poor suspension, and cramped ride all add up to pain and suffering after 100+ miles.

I'm looking for something with an upright riding posture, that can be ridden all day up and down the California coast. It would be great to take the occasional backroad, and be able to grin if the asphalt gets spotty.

I know I haven't gotten all the mistakes out of my system, but I'm a damn careful rider. Figured I would keep the Multistrada in urban mode and practice a ton until the power and weight feel natural.

Am I crazy? Would it be better to aim for something in the middle, like a 650 vstrom? I have always thought of that as the ugliest bike on the market, so I really don't want one Neutral
jazz
MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:49 pm Reply with quote

Shocked

I'll let some of the other inmates respond first.
nav18tor
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:13 pm Reply with quote

Under normal "rules", I would say no, get something in-between the two extremes and learn to ride with about 100BHP, a classic 1100/1000 Multistrada perhaps

But then the 1200 has 3 x power modes, and maybe you could enter the big bike world and leave the switch in its lowest power setting and put a bunch of miles on

Again the normal rules apply to brakes, but the 1200 has ABS so it may keep you out of trouble Rolling Eyes

It's all a matter of confidence, how confident are you about handling a very powerful bike that can get you into serious trouble and cause you serious harm

As it happens, I have gone away from the power race having owned an Aprilia Mille, Honda Blackbird, 2 x Yamaha Fazer 1000 old and new model both "tweaked" and in pure enjoyment terms, my sub 100BHP Multistrada 1000 gives me more smiles per mile than any of the big BHP machines

Just be careful with the throttle Shocked

http://www.pureholidayhomes.com/coimbra-...gal-p32294.html
aaron_s
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:03 pm Reply with quote

Thanks nav18tor, that's good advice. Perhaps a BMW F650gs (71 hp) would be a good alternative. Or the f800 with dual disc brakes up front. It looks like they are about half the cost.

Anytime I read about BMWs though it sounds like they need a lot of maintenance.

Also I've read about the G650gs front forks failing, which is scary as hell.
miloVanMultistrada
MTS: 2010 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:14 pm Reply with quote

aaron_s wrote:
Thanks nav18tor, that's good advice. Perhaps a BMW F650gs (71 hp) would be a good alternative. Or the f800 with dual disc brakes up front. It looks like they are about half the cost.

Anytime I read about BMWs though it sounds like they need a lot of maintenance.

Also I've read about the G650gs front forks failing, which is scary as hell.

No need to lower yourself to a BMW... I would recommend an MTS1000 or 1100. A great handling bike with plenty of power and a great riding position. You should also be able to pick up a used one, ride it for a year or so and then move onto the 1200 (if you still want to) without losing too much.
nav18tor
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:14 pm Reply with quote

Yup, the more I think about this the above is good advice

A Multistrada 100/1100 is exactly what you need to get the Ducati experience

You may find you don't want or need any other bike

http://www.pureholidayhomes.com/coimbra-...gal-p32294.html
coman
MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:17 pm Reply with quote

Another option is a 620 Multistrada. After laying off serious road riding for 20 years I started back out on a 620, and it was perfect. Almost identical to the 1000 / 1100, but more modest power. However it can be ridden quickly enough - we have witnessed that during our yearly European meetings where we ride up and down mountains for three days. The 620's that come are more that able to keep up, and in fact some of the quickest riders have them.

They are more than 30 lbs lighter and a little lower too, so easier to handle.

If you can find one locally with a full Ducati service record it would be worth serious consideration. Plenty of time to move up later, and you'll experience that Ducati factor.

No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:49 pm Reply with quote

Thanks guys, it sounds like used is the way to go.

The only one on craiglist in my area is a 1200 though. If price isn't a concern, then it seems like it would be ok if kept in urban mode, since it's essentially about the same as a 1000/1100 in that mode, but more expensive to drop.

The 620 sounds like the perfect mid ground. It's a shame ducati stopped making it. I'll check the local dealers to see if they have any used ones.
ducdoug
MTS: 2011 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:05 am Reply with quote

I'll echo the others' comments. First off, I commend you in seeking advice from experienced and knowledgeable owners. The 1200 is definitely not for the beginner or inexperienced, even in urban mode. While urban mode is great and would be helpful in keeping you out of trouble unitl you gain experience, the reality is that sport mode is literally two button pushes, a "hold" and a throttle roll-off away. The temptation would be worse than a MotoGP umbrella girl suddenly appearing at your door... Smile No real male with any testosterone at all can resist it....

Start with a 620 or even 1100 and work up. We really want to have you as a safe Ducatista!

MTS: 2012 1200S PP (Corse)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:49 am Reply with quote

For riders that are fairly new, I would just say:

Super easy bike to ride. But a loaded gun of you're not confident in your ability to exercise self restraint.
gregor
MTS: 2006 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:02 am Reply with quote

If you can find a good one, the 620 is your bike. Great handling, good power for 1 up, which improves with age.

As Peter said above, when you get in the twistys, this bike can hold its own with most. So, really depends on what you are going to do with it. Riding SF, with the occasional blast down Skyline Blvd- the 620 is for you. if you are going to pound down 101, the bigger bike may makes sense.

good luck

Greg
Mattel
MTS: 2008 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:53 am Reply with quote

Go with the 1100. Find a good buy in good condition. Have fun and learn to be a better rider. Ride safe!

ATGATT+AIR!!!
aaron_s
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:48 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback guys. It looks like the local dealer has a couple 620's in stock Think
archkevinbrown
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:59 pm Reply with quote

aaron_s wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback guys. It looks like the local dealer has a couple 620's in stock Think

The 620s are fantastic bikes; if you get one, I, with only a superbike to my name now, will envy you. Still, there's no need to wonder or second guess yourself. If you can, test ride a 1200, a Diavel, a Streetfighter, or heck, ANY other big, powerful bike. Sure, you'll probably find them to be awesome bikes, but if you find that you don't really need or deeply want the extra power, weight, cost, insurance liability, ego boost, etc., why bother? On the other hand, if you find you just gotsta haves it, who are we to stop you?

'09 Suzuki DR650 Nameless 9/'10 - 5/'11
'08 Aprilia RSV Lara, aka Silver Lion 3/'10 - current
edeneve
MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:33 am Reply with quote

Go for it. You're not crazy. Just use your head and be careful. It all depends on how comfortable you are with the controls - if you are still occasionally grabbing the clutch instead of the brake, then wait a little longer. Take a rider course on street riding techniques and control, and do a track day here and there, and you will quickly be just as skilled as half the people out there on these things. At 25, my second "street" bike was a race-prepped gsxr-1100, after spending only 2 weeks with an old cb-650. But that's just me, many of my friends think I 'm nuts. I got my first motorcycle ride at 4, rode my first motorbike at 9 (feet couldn't touch the ground but I found a way), fixed and driving power boats by 12 at my uncle's marina, soloed a plane at 16, and as often as possible drive like Burt Reynolds in Smokey and the Bandit, even on my way to work in the morning. I'm not good at stunts, by the way. I just like acceleration and the roar of a motor when its the right time and place. As for whether or not you feel comfortable, you're an adult (at least I'm assuming so). If you aren't comfortable, sell the 1200 and go into something else. If you don't get it, you may always wonder what it was like. I got a Hayabusa because I thought it was what I needed, but settled on a multi-1000 and can't find a good enough reason to ditch it yet. On that note, by the way, the 1000/1100 isn't a junior to the 1200 for street riding(dammit!) - I can ride light to light, and through highway traffic as fast as any of you 1200 guys! (wahhh!) Wink

Fav rides:
2006 Multistrada DS 1000, Red
2007 Hayabusa
1982 GS1100
1992 GSXR1100
1982 KZ750 done up cafe style--