Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: 1200 S Touring Vs. Concours 14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
zemurray
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:01 pm Reply with quote

Man you guys are great. Excellent feedback. I wasn't too worried about the top case either, but my only experience with cases was some Jesse luggage on my vstrom 650, and that bike sucked.

Checked out the c14. Of course no test ride. It's a nice bike, but it's not speaking to me like the mts. It doesnt feel as heavy as it id, but it's a big bike. If the mts rides as good as everyone is saying, my mind will be made. I'm not taking that $50 bet.

Cbr is gone. Cash is in the bank.
ducowner
MTS: 2012 1200S PP (Corse)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:21 am Reply with quote

True story:
I came home with my first Multistrada after driving across town specifically to buy a C14.

The dealer sold both Kawasaki and Ducati, as well as a couple of other brands. I was there specifically to test ride the C14. When I left my house that morning, I had fully intended on coming home with one. I had read a lot of great reviews and it seemed like exactly what I was looking for.

Took it for a long, hwy based test ride. It was really comfortable, very fast, handled well, and was VERY quiet with the windscreen all the way up. Overall, a nice experience.

But, when I arrived back at the dealership and was stepping off of the bike, the dealer wheeled out a Multi and asked if I'd like to take it for a ride too. "Of course", I said. After all, why wouldn't I? Well, less than 5 minutes into the ride, I was grinning ear to ear and having more than a nice ride, I was having FUN! And it didn't just handle "well", it was amazing! Also immediately noticeable, was the incredible Ohlins suspension and the fun factor of the lighter weight.

I arrived back at the dealer, stepped off the bike, and whipped out my check book immediately! Looking back now, best motorcycle purchase decision I've ever made. Oh, and that was an MTS1000S! When I eventually traded that in on an MTS1200, it felt like it was just as much as a "fun" improvement as the MTS1000 was over the C14. Now, THAT surprised me, as the MTS1000S was so dialed in that it was hard to imagine how the 1200 could me much more than an incremental improvement. Ya, I was pretty WRONG about that! Smile
ducdoug
MTS: 2011 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:49 am Reply with quote

I've said this before on the board, but here it is again:

After 40 years of riding, the MTS is easily the most impressive bike I've ever ridden. There are bikes that are more comfortable. There are bikes with more amenities. There are (a few) bikes with more power. But nothing combines the handling, power, versatility and comfort of my MTS 1200S Touring. Riding for 40 years can make you pretty jaded about most bikes, but the MTS has put the FUN back in riding...and isn't that ultimately why we ride?

I'll be flying to CA in May, and picking up a manufacturer's new bike model directly from their HQ in LA, and riding it back across country. I know it will be a nice ride, I'm getting paid for the ride and I'm looking forward to it. On the other hand, it won't be my MTS...sigh.

No Multistrada

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:35 pm Reply with quote

Going for a test ride in an hour. I suspect I'll be leaving a deposit before I leave.
zemurray
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote

Just got back from the test ride.

It's perfect. It is everything you guys said it would be. Light, nimble, quick, comfortable, fun, just a joy to ride. Very nice motorcycle. For the first time in a long time, I even enjoyed riding behind traffic (usually on the sport bike I was in pain and dying to get around so I could get moving again).

Wind protection was surprisingly decent, sure it could be improved for a really long ride but it was definitely adequate.

The bike really handles well, as far as I could tell anyway. Took it on some curves, but being a demo and being new to the bike I definitely didn't push it. It also takes a while to build up confidence in a new bike to run a spirited pace.

So whomever wanted to bet the $50 would have won Wink I worked out a quick deal, headed back to work, and they called back. We are all set. The only problem is that the "soon to be mine" bike hasn't been delivered yet. It's due to arrive in the next couple of days.
gregor
MTS: 2006 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:00 pm Reply with quote

Welcome to the club. But as a word of waning you should never bet with Carol as she is usually right...

Your going to love this bike!

g
Bret312
MTS: 2012 1200S (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:04 pm Reply with quote

awesome! congrats!!!
ducdoug

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote

It was inevitable...congratulations!

MTS: 2010 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:10 pm Reply with quote

Ha! Like any of us are surprised. The test ride almost always seals the deal with these 1200s.

The next couple of days are just gonna drag by for you. Wink

'12 Multistrada S Touring
Yes, I do miss my air cooled multi...
Brand spanking new '16 Thruxton R
zemurray
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:18 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome!

Well I won't have to wait that long! It came in today, they may have it prepped before I leave work but it might be tomorrow. We shall see in an hour.

I got the Titanium color BTW.
bonefish
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:28 pm Reply with quote

Saw it from the start Cool Welcome, your going to end up being a daily visitor to this site Laughing One thing that was not mentioned during the top box discussion was the comfort and confidence it adds for you pillion. You must be in western KY if you need to ride to good roads Cool We love eastern KY and travel through on our trips to Indy. Enjoy

No Multistrada

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:47 pm Reply with quote

bonefish wrote:
Saw it from the start Cool Welcome, your going to end up being a daily visitor to this site Laughing One thing that was not mentioned during the top box discussion was the comfort and confidence it adds for you pillion. You must be in western KY if you need to ride to good roads Cool We love eastern KY and travel through on our trips to Indy. Enjoy

I'm in North central KY. 22 miles north of Louisville. There are good roads to ride at a relaxed pace, but for a sport biker, you have to go east to Falmouth and ride 22, 165, 1504, etc.. It's about 1.5 hours one way for me to get to those roads.

All the other decent roads are too short, only a mile or two of good sections.

But that's coming from the attitude of riding a sport bike. The sport tour thing opens up all kinds of possibilities. No longer do I have to find constant switchbacks to ride because the rolling stuff is too uncomfortable.
Steve B
MTS: 2010 1200 (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:14 pm Reply with quote

Congrats and good call on the titanium, I really like that color. It looked like you've owned a succession of 4 cylinder bikes, did the Duc twin appeal to you right off the bat? I've got a buddy with a similar background of bikes to you and he just can't ride twins after all his fours.
ducdoug

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quote

You'll find that even with the bags loaded, you'll be able to carve a pretty tight line through the corners. When you take the bags off, get ready to hang on. Think giant motard on steroids! Try an MRA Vario windscreen. It works for me, and I do a lot of distance riding on my MTS. If you ever get down to the Tampa area, give us a yell. We have a very active Ducati group here, with a lot of MTS riders...

Ride Safe!

MTS: 2010 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:47 pm Reply with quote

Congrats

The titanium color is sweet too, I have a lotus that color (random shameless comment)