Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Need advice from you guys and gals.
solarbronco
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:40 pm Reply with quote

I am really thinking about buying a used Multistrada but live in Boise, Idaho and there really isn't a great Ducadi dealership within even a four hour drive of here. There is a BMW dealership that claims to work on Ducadi's, but I don't trust that. I work on my own Jap bikes, do most of my own service work, but fear that the Italian machine will have alot of equipment and electronics that I am not familiar with. I'd be nervous working on it myself without screwing something up.

So, with all of that stated, I still want one. How is the long term reliability on these bikes? Is there any model years to stay away from? Is the valve check procedure difficult? Anyone here have one with 70,000 plus miles?

I'd like this bike to be my daily commuter and also for occasional 500 mile plus trips and of course, weekend mountain road trips.

Is a service manual enough for a guy with medium service skills to keep this bike going?
Android
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote

Hi Solarbronco
Wellcome to our little forum, hope you enjoy our company.
There is nothing that will phase you if you already work your own bikes, this is just a little different valve wise but nothing too clever.
Zookiman is upto 150,000miles or more I'm trying to catch him up but only done 90,000 so far Very Happy
How far will you commute ? I'm doing 84 miles a day, regular oil and filter changes along with belt changes which only take about 45min and you will be fine.
And if you don't twist the throttle too much you can get quite good miles per gallon....so I've heard...not been able to control that bit yet Wink
There are loads of people on here to help with advice

see you around
AndyP

MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote

Well well never knew where Boise Idaho was before, just google mapped it

you boys really like your straight roads.Shocked......you'll need to stick to those forest roads when you're on the multi so you can keep the tires from squaring off.

I think you could do with an Italian guy in the road planning department. Laughing

MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:44 pm Reply with quote

Android wrote:
Well well never knew where Boise Idaho was before, just google mapped it

you boys really like your straight roads.Shocked......you'll need to stick to those forest roads when you're on the multi so you can keep the tires from squaring off.

I think you could do with an Italian guy in the road planning department. Laughing

don't feel to bad for him...he has access to some of the best riding roads you could imagine, very close by...in all directions..

solarbronco..

I don't work on my bike, but that's because I don't trust my wrenching skills. But, if you work on your other bikes, everyone says the duc is easy to maintain.

The Multistrada is perfect for Hell's Canyon, Idaho City...etc. I've tested it out out one your roads, and definitely give it the thumbs up..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:14 pm Reply with quote

Yes, we have some awesome mountain roads here that go in all directions and are full of twisties for hundreds of miles.

I'm looking at an 07 strada with 19,000 miles and it just had belt and valve service. The guy wants 7,800 for the bike and it has some nice farkles on it. Price sound good to you gents?? If I buy it, I'll be flying over to Denver to pick it up and will ride home thru Wyoming, Montana and then thru east Idaho home to Boise. Epic trip and a great way to get to know a new bike.

A lot of people say that Ducati's break down a lot, but the Multistrada seems to be different, from what I hear.
Ducatimts07
MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:50 pm Reply with quote

solarbronco wrote:
Yes, we have some awesome mountain roads here that go in all directions and are full of twisties for hundreds of miles.

I'm looking at an 07 strada with 19,000 miles and it just had belt and valve service. The guy wants 7,800 for the bike and it has some nice farkles on it. Price sound good to you gents?? If I buy it, I'll be flying over to Denver to pick it up and will ride home thru Wyoming, Montana and then thru east Idaho home to Boise. Epic trip and a great way to get to know a new bike.

A lot of people say that Ducati's break down a lot, but the Multistrada seems to be different, from what I hear.

I'd say take a look at this 07 before you fly to Denver..

http://www.multistrada.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30168
gregor
MTS: 2012 1200S (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:38 pm Reply with quote

Solarbronco,

1st, Welcome to the forum, and yes- the Multi is well suited to the roads around you- I know very well as i grew up in the area. just have a look at:

http://www.motoroutes.net/index.php?opti...%20States/cat:8

The Multi is fairly easy to work on and most maintenance can be done by yourself if you have reasonable mechanical skills. But it would be nice to have someone local that really knows what they were doing for the more technical stuff or if the shit really hits the fan.

The only thing that needs regular maintenance that is difficult is the valves. Not easy and requires the tank to come off- let's just say, it's a job.

The other issue is parts- your going to need some OE parts, so your going to establish some relationship with a dealer somewhere.

OK, enough of the negative- it would be a great bike to own in Boise and you would certainly have a unique ride in the area. Not sure I have ever seen a Duc in Idaho..

Go for it- I will stop by and see you next time I am in town.

g

PS- also great roads coming back form the bay area-- looks like this one could be worth considering too.
solarbronco

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote

Can the Ducati valves be adjusted easily, or do they have to be shimmed? I'm not afraid of taking the tank off, I am used to that already. Also, what common issues are there to be fixed ahead of time? All bikes have mandatory fixes to avoid future breakdowns. Locktite fixes? Wiring issues?

That 07 looks awesome! I doubt that t will still be around by the time my truck sells, but hoping that it is...
SEARCH
MTS: 2008 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:55 am Reply with quote

Hey SB-
I'm a solar guy in Utah.
I have an amazing mechanic fully Ducati race trained and he lives in Salmon, ID. His name is Matt Spencer with SBS Performance and he is the shizzle. His email is sbsperformance@hotmail.com and I can attest to his magic. Phone number is 801-808-4063.

I have an '08 1100S with a full Leo Vince exhaust and I had Matt put on a PCIII and remap the ECU with a full Dyno-tune. My bike runs like the angels.

ECU re-flash and PC3 Dyno-tune
solarbronco

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:17 am Reply with quote

Holy crap that is good news! Thank you! Salmon is at the end of one hell of a trip full of twisties!! Man, this is starting to shape up nicely for me.
racinjunky
MTS: 2006 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:01 am Reply with quote

Lots of good info here,http://ducatisuite.com. Not Multi specific but very good.