Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Multistrada 620 or 1100???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

As a beginner biker should I
Buy a Multistrada 620?  
62%
  62%  (22)
Spend 1000euros more to buy a 1000?  
17%
  17%  (6)
Wait till the 1100 comes out unknown price yet in my country.  
17%
  17%  (6)
Invest my money so that my children can buy a bad ass bike for themselves?  
2%
  2%  (1)
Total Votes : 35

Nikker1985
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:23 pm Reply with quote

I am new in this biking game.I have no experience in bikes, I always used to ride one since I was really really young, I just turned 21 and now I am old enough to take my over 250cc engine license. I want a bike for everyday use, yet for long trips, lets say I am willing to be riding everyday small distances and almost every week for a 5 hour trip. Since I got no great experience, people keep telling me that a big engined bike is too much for me and is going to get me killed. The thing is that there is a very small difference between the prices of the bikes. I dont have a problem buyins a 620 but with less than 1k euros more I can get the 1000cc. Wich bike do you think I should go for? I want my bike to be able to go up to 160km/h to 180km/h fast (in good roads, with no traffic, highways etc.) but I dont want it to be on high rpm while there.
I ve also noticed that the 620 has the lowest horsepower to weight ratio. Does it still feel nice to ride? How fast can you go before you cant handle the wind anymore? Any suggestions? Should I buy the 620, the 100 or wait a while till the 1100 comes out?
Thank you all, I know I suck at English.
BikerRN
MTS: 2006 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:17 pm Reply with quote

I've been riding for 15 years, all Harley.

Now I ride a MTS 620. It has all the power I need to ride fast and is more comfortable around town than the 1000.

To give you an example if the bike is "enough"; I had a friend following me on his inline 4 Yamaha and said to me, "I can't keep up in the corners. I was doing 90, and you were pulling away." Granted 90 is getting towards the upper end of what the bike can do, but at real world, non-track, speed it can hold it's own.

The only time I would consider either a 1000 or an 1100 is if I was riding 2-up over 75% of the time. If it was just me on the bike, I'd go with the 620 and never look back.

That's my opinion. Good luck and stay safe.

Biker
JohnB
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:21 pm Reply with quote

Rumor has it that Ducati will be phasing out the 620 Multi. This, in my opinion, will keep the value of the 620s high since only the limited number of those made will be in existance for anyone who wants the smaller variety Multi. You can always trade up to an 1100 in the future if you want to.

Good Luck,
John
BikerRN

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:27 pm Reply with quote

You can find a few threads about Ducati stopping the Multi 620. Sad

Personally I think it's one of the dumbest moves Ducati can make. However, don't plan on it keeping the value of the bike high. The 620 Sport, only about 400 imported to North America, sells like any other used bike of that year.

As far as getting spares, the 620 motor has been around for a long while and that's not an issue.
AllanK
MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:26 pm Reply with quote

Just tried the 620 and I was astonished how well the bike performs. I was quite surprised how much power the 620 produces. Have also tried the 650 Suzuki V-Strom which is absolutely no comparison to the 620.

If I was new to the game I would love a 620. Now I bought the 1000 Razz
Greg_C

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:07 pm Reply with quote

I just bought a 620. I have a very fast/fun v-twin sportbike already so I don't really need the more powerful 1000. It's just right for me and even when I take my g/f on it. We're not big people so the power is fine. Now if someone told me I could only have one bike for the rest of my life I'd pick the 1000 Multi or the '07 1100 coming out.
Blakecb
MTS: 2006 620 (Yellow)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:31 pm Reply with quote

I am not a beginner (came back in the Spring after a long bike-less stay in the wilderness). I think the 620 is a marvelous ride around town and single touring. I don't need more HP or torque for the 70% in town 30% touring that I do. I corners great and is a blast. If you buy the 620 you'll save enough for some nice upgrades (like termi's). I am completely satisfied with the 620 (besides it is yellow, which is the fastest color).

However, I am with Greg_C, if I could only have 1 bike for the rest of my life I would look harder at the 1100.

Good Luck!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:28 pm Reply with quote

36 yrs of riding experience... 620 hands down... Razz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:00 am Reply with quote

Thank youi all, you are being really helpfull. Picking up a bike can be so confusing, I always change my mind, first think about Multistrada, then switch to V Strom then maybe a Varadero... Anyways I got a couple of new questions now. The 620, is it good for touring with plenty of luggage on and a passenger?
Italian cars and bikes are rumored to need repair and turn out to be kind of problematic. They also say that in 2 years or so the bike will not be as strong as it is now. So, how reliable is it? I am not the type of guy that sells his bike after 2 years before it looses its value. I want to get married with the bike. Keep it for 10 years. I am also from Greece, wich is right next to Italy so I suppose it is easier and cheaper for me to find parts.
Thank you all.
BikerRN

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:42 pm Reply with quote

As with any product, you will have a "lemon" every now and again. However, Ducati has an image of unreliability that was founded in the past.

I find Ducati to be very reliable, just like Harley Davidson. I switched from Harley to Ducati because I wanted a bike that could go fast in the corners. If I was going to tour 2-up I would go with the 1000cc bike.

As far as touring on the Multi, it's great. After 3 or 5 days, then a dedicated touring bike like a BMW is nice for the electric windshield, but before that the Multi wins. It all depends on how much comfort you want. Don't get me wrong, the Multistrada is very comfortable.

I have my bike set up for "sport-touring." It has a Tank Cover and Tank Bag on it with soft panniers, Ducati of course. I've changed the grips and the front sprocket, but otherwise left it alone. There are a host of different accessories you can add to the Multi to make it more sporty or more touring style.

I tend to do day tours of 300-500 miles just to eat lunch. I like sleeping in my own bed at night and with those distances I can ride some of the best roads anywhere. I think the Multi 620 would be capable of 2-up touring, but I hold the American predjudice of, more power is better. I ride solo 100% of the time because my wife has her own Multistrada 620. Smile

As far as getting parts cheaper because you are next to Italy, don't count on it. You pay a "premium" for Ducati no matter where you are. It is after all, the Ferrarri of motorcycles.
lotus54

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:02 pm Reply with quote

If you are going to be riding two up with full luggage- I'd consider the 1000 more.
I have not ridden the 620 ever, so I really can't comment on the power etc. The 1000 does have better suspension and I don't think you would have problems with the power (just take it easy at first).

Try riding them both and see which you like the best.

mark

Beta XTrainer 300
JohnB

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:17 pm Reply with quote

Nikker1985 wrote:
I am not the type of guy that sells his bike after 2 years before it looses its value. I want to get married with the bike. Keep it for 10 years. I am also from Greece, wich is right next to Italy so I suppose it is easier and cheaper for me to find parts.
Thank you all.

I didn't realize you planned on keeping it for 10 years and do a lot of two-up riding. In light of this, I want to change my vote. Go for the 1100S. Wink
rays

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:37 pm Reply with quote

it does seem like the smaller engine MTS's are very popular. it surprises me, but if this site is any indicator, and the poll, the 6XX MTs is very popular. maybe ducati is making a mistake if they discontinue the 620.

i don't know if i agree about the value staying high. maybe for a while, but after a few years, i don't think folks will want a discontinued bike. just more of a hassle for parts, ungrades, service, etc. for all of you that own them, i hope i'm wrong about this.

ray
XSTRADA

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:22 pm Reply with quote

A 620/695/800 "S" would be nice... I'd trade mine in for one of those. Wishful thinking... Eh?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:17 pm Reply with quote

rays wrote:
i don't know if i agree about the value staying high. maybe for a while, but after a few years, i don't think folks will want a discontinued bike. just more of a hassle for parts, ungrades, service, etc. ray

If this is true, then 1000/1000S owners are in the same boat?