Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: KTM 950 Adventure
BrianScotland
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 9:30 pm Reply with quote

thanks to all replies to previous post

mts still on short list, test drove ktm yesterday and really liked it, real gravel ability seems appealing, build quality is superb and you could throw it about like a.........well a multistrada, Anyone got one? or care to comment.

cheers frae bonnie scotland
Botsko
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 1:25 am Reply with quote

I was thinking about buying a KTM when I bought the Multi, Had a chance to ride a KTM Adventure after I had already bought the Multi. Boy am I glad on the decision I made. Half the reason I decided to buy my bike is my better half liked the passanger set up (and the looks). Took her for a spin on the KTM and she could hardly stay on it for 30 minutes (a lot of foot vibration and a rock hard seat). Sure it is a real dirt bike on steroids but it is that two a tee. Soft tall suspesion, Rock hard seat, Cornering feel of an SUV (bad one at that) from the 21" front wheel, and a little more vibration than what a street bike should have. If you realy think that you would get in the mud and play with it go for it , But as a primary use as a road bike forget about it. Im wondering if a set of Excel rims and duel sport tires were thrown on the Multi how it would stack against the other real Duels in its class (any happy elephant owners out there?),maybe i'll have to be the one to find out. Oh yeah, go check out the new 1200 GS worth the ride if you are lookin for the best of both worlds. Might find a demo to ride at a dealer or a bike show, worth taking a look at. Most Ducati dealers should have a multistrada demo ride available if you need some ride time to decide. I do have a friend that works in the bike industry and has had alot of ride time on all three mentioned, His choice would be the GS for any road condition and lots of intended miles(he did almost 3,000 on one in a week and still liked the bike), Multi for always on pavement(good or bad) and not so long ventures(I did 500 in an afternoon and felt a little beaten up), and the KTM if you will realy break the beaten path and take those dirt trails(or no trail at all) that no bike has yet to venture, although in the right hands it can keep up with most bikes in the paved twisties. Hope this helps a little and isn't more of a mouthfull than you intended to get.
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger Top
Prof
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 7:37 pm Reply with quote

But you need a "style bypass" to want a KTM Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 3:20 am Reply with quote

As you know, the same statement applies to the Multistrada! Very Happy
The looks have grown on me and I get some nice comments but....you have to admit it is a odd Duc if you can pardon the pun.
I have checked out the KTM and I like the styling of it just about as well as the Multi.
Radsmoots

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:40 am Reply with quote

"Any happy Elephant owners out there?"

I have had my Elefant for over 5 years now. It has been the best "do everything" bike I have ever known. But now I am looking for something with just a little more power. So here I am, lurking the Multistrada forum for insights. I'm sure I'll be posting some questions later.

'02 Suzuki DRZ 400

Aventure Touring. It just dosen't get any better than this.
gbenner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:08 am Reply with quote

I have been lookng at the Adventure as well. Faily sure i will get one, although to replace my Tuono, not the Multi. I think the previous comments are pretty close to what i have been able to discern from the articles, great dual sport, with emphasis on non-paved roads.

greg
Greg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:57 pm Reply with quote

I own both bikes I hate to say it on this MTS site but my Ducati has been somewhat ignored for the last 10,000 miles since I got my 950 I have 9800 miles on the MTS ( It had 6000 when I got the 950) and 10300 on the KTM and I have had the Ducati for more since July of 2003 and the KTM since Nov 2003. I'm a big guy and the KTM fits me better than the MTS and as mention I use the offroad abilities alot I have actually been considering trading the MTS in for ANOTHER KTM 950 to set up as a street bike only. I have 2 sets of wheels for my 950 my second set is a 17/19 combo that I run Anakee tire on Both bikes have miserable seats both have great engines. If I hade the perfect machine it would be a 950 with the MTS engine as as you guys know THERE IS NOTHING LIKE A DUCATI ENGINE.