Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Concern about theft of ungaurded MTS?
CoastalRider
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:21 pm Reply with quote

I'm considering purchasing a MTS. I could justify the purchase alot more if I occasionally drove it to work (7 miles round trip), going for a short coastal ride afterwards. However, I would park it in a parking lot, and I have an office without a window. With a $1,000 deductible, coupled with depreciation and the inability to recoup sales tax, I might be out $3,000 if the MTS is stolen. I live in north San Diego, California. Not a high crime rate, but thugs are everywhere in our world.

Should I drive my MTS to work, leaving it unguarded? Am I too paranoid?

Thank you,

Tom
largerthanmost
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:41 pm Reply with quote

3 1/2 miles to work is not even good bicycle ride, laeve the duc home and go for a walk. Then when you get home all refreshed, take it out and ride hell out of it!
CoastalRider

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:35 pm Reply with quote

Now that I think about it, I would probably take a longer but safer route to and from work. But the round trip would still be only about 10 miles. The good weekday routes are right around my work, not by my home. The routes around my home are not suitable to ride on the weekdays. These routes are loaded with soccer moms in their suvs chatterboxing on their cell phones. I have owned a 100 cc motorcycle in the past and currently own a road bike and a mountain bike, and I have learned it's in my best interest to avoid certain areas and certain times.

The 10 mile round trip is very pleasant on a bike/motorcycle. Part of it runs alongside a lagoon, and part right along the Pacific Ocean. Birds and foliage by the lagoon, babes by the ocean. It keeps work in the proper perspective.

Your point is still well taken, though. Thanks for the input.
largerthanmost

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:27 pm Reply with quote

I have the same problem,a short ride to work, the ducati never get's warmed up. It's a not so bad bicycle ride if you can keep from geting run over.I also have a mountain bike trail I can run to work,but it's no fun in the dark on the way in. We'll just have to move 40 miles out of town. Buy the multistrada it's big fun,and way up the scale on flash and flair.
Greg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:41 am Reply with quote

I ride 6 miles to work Whistle (in Escondido CA) I just let my bike warm up in the garage The MTS has a good fork lock and if your real concerned get a disk lock to and a cover, out of site out of mind

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:04 am Reply with quote

And I thought that it was too ugly for anyone to want to steal it!? har har Don
Jantah
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:36 pm Reply with quote

I would not put too much trust in the steering lock. I think most thieves will not have any trouble opening that in a matter of seconds. Disk locks... I use a Kryptonite disk lock, but I don't trust that too much either. My brothers bike was once stolen with a similar lock. They just used a large pole to force it off (ruined the disk off course, but what do they care?). Screwing off the disk is also widely used to "mobilise" the bike (I use my lock on the rear disk Smile)

One thing you can be sure off with the Multistrada you will not be able to start the engine without a proper key, so they will either lift it into a van (is there a gate to the parking lot?) or walk away with it. Best options for security: fix it to the earth using a good chain, and use a cover (good one Greg). Also, an alarm system may scare off occasional thugs, but it probably won't help against pro's.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger Top
CoastalRider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:03 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, Jantah. There is no gate at my parking lot. Fixing it to the earth, such as a light pole or something similar, seems like the most practical thing to do. It's the professional thieves, as you mentioned, who I am worried about. My friend has a Harley and says they (the pro's) lift them into a vehicle rather quickly. He won't drive his to work. It would be nice if my parking lot had some safety devices for motorcycles or bicycles, but I rarely see a motorcycle parked here, although yesterday I saw a Ducati Monster. I do see alot of motorcycles parked on streets in the city, where monthly automobile parking passes are quite expensive. I don't pay a fee to park at my building, and there is always plenty of parking for an automobile.

It may be easier and less stressful to just drive on the weekends, particularly in the morning hours when there aren't so many crazies on the roads.

Everyone on this board seems very enthusiastic about their MTS. Sounds like alot of fun.
stisma

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:57 pm Reply with quote

LOCK YOUR BIKE !!! Motorcycles are stolen every day everywhere. In Chicago land mostly in the city, suburbs are somewhat "safe". Any good cable and lock will do the job. I preffer cable & lock secured to something, post, poll, fence....even other car. At work, find a work buddy that has same hours as you and lock it to his (even her) Rolling Eyes vehicle. I rearly ride alone, and all of us lock more bikes with all the cables we might have. Seeing 2-3 bikes all tangled in cables and lock is a sure deterant for would-be-criminal. BTW, IMHO people steeling bikes should be ..... hung high.
Greg

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 9:13 pm Reply with quote

Also never park you bike on a hill This is the easiest way to steal a bike make it mobil and roll to the bottom of the hill then load it up I would never park my bike on the street