Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: MTS 1200 Sport Touring => what mods ?
slowmo
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:46 am Reply with quote

Hello Fellow Riders,

I'm set to go from S4R to an MTS 1200 ST and need your feedback on a coupla things. I did read the prev posts but if I missed one that answers my Q, please enlight me..

- 14T yay or nay ? I know how a 14T CAN affect the behavior of the bike but after test riding an MTS 1200, I did not feel the need for one. But again, I'm coming from a 996 engine, so the Testastretta feels miles smoother already. What's your experience ?

- Termi can yay or nay ? Besides the look and sound, any benefit ? Smoother power delivery, marginal perf gain ? I'm trying to justify the price tag...

- I read posts about the key fob acting up. what's your exp ?

My dealer is offering $500 credit and 10% off accessories if I buy from him. What more can I get ? Or what more did YOU get ?

Otherwise, after test riding the bike, I was very impressed. I expected it to be good but not THAT good! Simply an awesome bike! Power delivery, handling, ergos, overall a well rounded do-it-all bike. And pricey Rolling Eyes but hey...I'm a bit partial on the look of the beak, but I feel I can live with it...
I look forward to joining the community!

Thanks for your help.
Ride safe ya'll
ducowner
MTS: 2012 1200S PP (Corse)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:07 am Reply with quote

slowmo wrote:
Hello Fellow Riders,

I'm set to go from S4R to an MTS 1200 ST and need your feedback on a coupla things. I did read the prev posts but if I missed one that answers my Q, please enlight me..

- 14T yay or nay ? I know how a 14T CAN affect the behavior of the bike but after test riding an MTS 1200, I did not feel the need for one. But again, I'm coming from a 996 engine, so the Testastretta feels miles smoother already. What's your experience ?

- Termi can yay or nay ? Besides the look and sound, any benefit ? Smoother power delivery, marginal perf gain ? I'm trying to justify the price tag...

Thanks for your help.
Ride safe ya'll

TOTALLY personal preferences!

I'm not at all feeling the need for the 14t, but my bike is one of the ones that actually runs PERFECTLY smooth at low rpm's. If your bike doesn't and you haven't been able to get it to, I could see the benefit of the 14t.

Termi's?

When I gave a demo bike with the full termi a try, I could totally feel the extra power, and it was fun. Do I want the extra power? Sure. Who wouldn't? Do I need it, or miss it? Not at all. Could "I personally" put up with the incredible noise of the full termi when touring 12hrs/day. Not a chance.

And again. my bike's fueling has no issues. So I personally don't need the termi for that either.

But everyone will definitely have their own thoughts on this.
ducowner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:11 am Reply with quote

slowmo wrote:
Hello Fellow Riders,

- I read posts about the key fob acting up. what's your exp ?

Thanks for your help.
Ride safe ya'll

There have definitely been some issues with some people's bikes. I'm not sure, but it may have been the earlier bikes as I believe there was a service bulletin and they have now have changed some parts/software.

I personally have had no issues, UNLESS my key was quite near an iphone. I've had NO issues with it being near my Android. Just my iPhone.
kope999R
MTS: 2010 1200S (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:48 am Reply with quote

I don't think you will actually need any of those...
wanting is something else, no?

ride it for a while and see what it does..
there is more than enough not to keep you wanting once you get to know your bike thouroughly...

and there is plenty to find out about it... riding and weight modes can be fine tuned...

the more you lash onto the power thing and the more you up the irding pace, the more the need for other ( softer, shorter milage ) tires etc...

tip : adding theeth at the back has more 'range'.. 1 to 4 teeth is more tunable then 1 in the front.. i put up 40 T at the back of my 999R (iso 36) and waw, it did change a lot... in fact it compensated for me not
being a 5" 65kg racing champ Smile

2010 - '05 999R project bike
1994 - '94 916 SP1 (sold)
1992 - '92 851 Strada ( sold)
ducdoug
MTS: 2011 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:58 am Reply with quote

Now have 12K on my 2011 MTS S Touring. No issues. No key fob problems, anything. Bike is awesome. Popped for the full termi system at purchase. The noise is not an issue, as long as you leave the baffles in. Nice sound and only really gets loud when you want it to (handful of throttle). I've ridden it on a 700 mile day trip and the noise never bothered me.

Spring for the topcase. Its huge and very functional. Also, the stock windscreen doesn't do much if you're going to ride distance. I recommend the MRA windscreen with adjustable upper spoiler. There are other aftermarket windscreens that work well, too.

Other than that, I haven't modded the bike. First bike I've ever had that didn't need anything. Easily the most impressive bike I've ridden in 40 years of the sport.

MTS: 2011 1200S (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:35 pm Reply with quote

Its the only motorcycle I have purchased that I love the way it is out of the box
t-bills
MTS: 2011 1200S (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:44 pm Reply with quote

Go for the top case. It is great. If you do get the top case and install it yourself, note that the directions are wrong. Underneath the tail, it shows that you remove the forward 2 bolts and the middle two bolts. Actually, you have to remove the middle two bolts and the rear two bolts. I do suggest a different windscreen. I got the MRA touring with the variable spoiler. It is pretty good. Lastly, I recommend some barkbusters to protect the overpriced, brittle handguards. As far as exhaust, I'm not one to pay $$$ to change the sound of the bike, even if it comes with a little extra performance. I haven't had any problems with the bike, but have only had it for 3 weeks.
slowmo
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:45 am Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch fellows, your feedback is very much appreciated and helpful. I'll hold off on the Termi. I love the sound of it on my monster but it gets tiring when cruising. I want a top case, indeed and will ask the dealer to throw it in and help seal the deal. And I'll get a bigger windscreen.

Thanks again, this really helped.
Thumbs up to ya'll for making it such a great community!
ducowner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:44 am Reply with quote

Yes, definitely get either the MRA Vario, or a shorty, or both. They're both a huge improvement on the stock one.
TATTOO DESMO

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:07 am Reply with quote

ducowner wrote:
Yes, definitely get either the MRA Vario, or a shorty, or both. They're both a huge improvement on the stock one.

+1on the MRA vario screen on mine and is a lot better than the stand one!! Wink

1000ds ducati multi sold
TYRES// pirelli scorpion miles 4600
conit' road attack 2, miles 5000
Michelin pilot 3 miles 8000

miss the sound of the dry clutch!
46vale46
MTS: 2010 1200S (Black)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:43 am Reply with quote

I have the full termi with the baffles in, always. Noisy when you want it. Bike has a better punch than the stocker and of course the weight saving is huge. I do however prefer the look of the stock system, but would i change it back? not a chance. Cool
As for the screen, I have some little posts installed, it doesn't make the wind any better but it changes the noise of the turbulence to a more bare able noise.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:31 pm Reply with quote

+1 top case and windscreen. Exhaust is personal preferrence and not needed. Better off setting yourself up for good long tours.
mollycbr123
MTS: 2010 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:42 pm Reply with quote

46vale46 wrote:
As for the screen, I have some little posts installed, it doesn't make the wind any better but it changes the noise of the turbulence to a more bare able noise.

Are you talking about the Aztec spacers? If so, I have them too and for now am satisfied with how well they work with the stock screen to get rid of the wind noise.

'12 Multistrada S Touring
Yes, I do miss my air cooled multi...
Brand spanking new '16 Thruxton R