Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: What's the final conclusion on tank problems
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Clancy
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:22 pm Reply with quote

I'm looking at different Multistradas, mainly 1100's. I've read and re-read very post available on the issue with ethanol and tank swelling but can't come to any real occlusion other then it's a pretty screwed up problem. Some post they're on their third tank, others post they're selling their bike because they're sick of it. A company in CA is looking to maybe make an after market tank but no firm date that I know of.

I could buy a nice '08 and within months later have a tank problem. If I get it replaced, then have it again. I've been to my local dealer ( San Antonio ) and get mix messages, no problem, Ducati's taking care of it, use this additive, S100 and you'll never have problems. Then I read S100 is snake oil, some peoples opinion.

In the south Texas heat, a bike will certainly spend time sitting in the sun, can't be helped. I don't want a bike that I know has a problem just waiting to happen and there's no real answer on the horizon.

This is the only thing keeping me from buying a Multi, but it's a pretty big deal. I'm not really keen on hearing about the passion and heart of a Ducti and what it means to ride one. The truth is this is a major problem. And potentially down the road, an expensive one. I live one mile from a Harley dealer and see a hundred of those loud ugly bikes in a weeks time. Walk into the Ducati dealer and they show me new bikes on the floor with expanding tanks but say no big deal.

So, is there a final conclusion on what all this means? What does it look like if I buy a Multistrada, as ownership, what should I expect? Are there solutions, additives, after market tanks?
ScottP
MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:22 pm Reply with quote

I just moved from San Antonio a year ago, so I am familiar with the dealer. The mechanics are ok, the sales guys are ok, but I liked the Austin shop better. But the current S.A. Duc shop is way better than the one they bought out. However, I don't know that that s100 stuff they have sitting in mason jars is the answer.

Ducati S.A. replaced my tank in December 2010, and I had it treated with Caswell. No problems so far, but for the last 10 months it has had pure gas or E5, never E10. Only 18 months with US ethanol gas in it. Some guys have treated with Caswell, and had another swollen tank, did it not coat evenly? Did they miss some spots? Does S100, or Star-tron work? Some say yes, some say no. The real question is whether it prevents Ducati tank swelling, not how well it treats ethanol gas, and I don't know of any real answer out there.

It sounds like the aftermarket tank will either be a go or a no-go in the next couple of weeks, and the price will then be known. If it will be produced I say buy, but in the meanwhile, my advice is to wait a bit.

As much as I like the bike and the brand, Ducati has had some issues, the valve guide problems with the first few years production, then the tank problems, then the anti freeze with the new Multis.

Scott

1984 Honda Interceptor
m-johnson
MTS: 2008 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:28 pm Reply with quote

informative website on tank replacement: http://www.girardgibbs.com/ducati/

The aftermarket tank is not even in production yet. Figure $1,000 for the tank (projected cost of $650) and labor to remove and replace.

It is K100 not S100 additive. Draw your own conclusions. I would not count on it.

I have not had a problem with my '08 1100S, yet.

It could be a problem for you in the future. It that concerns you, don't buy an MTS.

I know that is not what you want to hear, but...

Good luck.

Mark
mollycbr123
MTS: 2010 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:09 pm Reply with quote

m-johnson wrote:

Mark

Those are the guys that made a boatload of money on the deal...

'12 Multistrada S Touring
Yes, I do miss my air cooled multi...
Brand spanking new '16 Thruxton R
ScottP
MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:47 pm Reply with quote

m-johnson wrote:

It is K100 not S100 additive. Draw your own conclusions. I would not count on it.

Mark

Oops, I got confused. I have used this stuff though...

http://www.s100.com/

Scott

1984 Honda Interceptor
keener
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:50 pm Reply with quote

m-johnson wrote:

The aftermarket tank is not even in production yet. Figure $1,000 for the tank (projected cost of $650) and labor to remove and replace.

I have not had a problem with my '08 1100S, yet.

It could be a problem for you in the future. It that concerns you, don't buy an MTS.

I know that is not what you want to hear, but...

Good luck.

Mark

I would say the CW tank could be considerably less than a $1000
the CW tank will change the out look for the aircooled Multi..
We should know within the next 4 weeks
Keener

74 Z1 900
98 1200 Bandit
2015 Kawasaki Verses 1000
m-johnson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:56 pm Reply with quote

Keener,

My $1,000 figure is parts and labor. Chris has estimated about $650 for the tank. Then, several hours installing at $100/hour at your local Ducati dealer (that is the going rate at Ducati Austin). Throw in some shipping expense and you at $1,000.

Mark
m-johnson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:58 pm Reply with quote

mollycbr123 wrote:
m-johnson wrote:

Mark

Yes, that is the law firm website. But it gives the details and terms of the settlement. That was all I was getting at.

Mark
2hlwf8
MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:01 pm Reply with quote

Listen to your gut. Fortitude, man. For every tank the swelled to the point of failure, there's probably a hundred that didn't. Mine has expanded, but it has yet to fail. After two years, i feel good about it. I love my bike. Not by virtue of the brand, but because of how i feel riding it. I'm not a rider, i'm a pilot... that gets to sit up straight, see everything around me, and turn corners on dimes.

Here's the deal. Who are you looking to buy from? If a private seller, (s)he probably knows like the rest of us about the tank issue, and knows it kills resale value. Good for buyers! Use it to talk down the price, because that's how it works. *frown from me, cause i bought mine new* Then when/if the new tank comes round, replace the tank and more than make up the difference in enhanced resale on a bike that now has a (much more) trustworthy aftermarket fuel tank.

Here's my plan, as laid out elsewhere on this board. My 2007 has expanded and is covered until 2015 (i bought it new in 2010) I have a good feeling about the CA Cycleworks solution. _When_ it gets rolling, i buy in, get the new tank, immediately have a dealer fetch my brand new OEM tank, receive it but not install it, install the CA-Cycle tank in its place, and sell the new, never-installed OEM tank to precisely break even on the deal.

... otherwise, you could buy a v-strom or something. Good luck, ride safe, have fun.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:03 pm Reply with quote

Well put.

MJ
mollycbr123
MTS: 2010 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:37 pm Reply with quote

m-johnson wrote:
mollycbr123 wrote:
m-johnson wrote:

Mark

Yes, that is the law firm website. But it gives the details and terms of the settlement. That was all I was getting at.

Mark

I know. I just don't like them.... Neutral

'12 Multistrada S Touring
Yes, I do miss my air cooled multi...
Brand spanking new '16 Thruxton R
LeoLegendatl
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:41 pm Reply with quote

2hlwf8 wrote:
Listen to your gut. Fortitude, man. For every tank the swelled to the point of failure, there's probably a hundred that didn't. Mine has expanded, but it has yet to fail. After two years, i feel good about it. I love my bike. Not by virtue of the brand, but because of how i feel riding it. I'm not a rider, i'm a pilot... that gets to sit up straight, see everything around me, and turn corners on dimes.

Here's the deal. Who are you looking to buy from? If a private seller, (s)he probably knows like the rest of us about the tank issue, and knows it kills resale value. Good for buyers! Use it to talk down the price, because that's how it works. *frown from me, cause i bought mine new* Then when/if the new tank comes round, replace the tank and more than make up the difference in enhanced resale on a bike that now has a (much more) trustworthy aftermarket fuel tank.

Here's my plan, as laid out elsewhere on this board. My 2007 has expanded and is covered until 2015 (i bought it new in 2010) I have a good feeling about the CA Cycleworks solution. _When_ it gets rolling, i buy in, get the new tank, immediately have a dealer fetch my brand new OEM tank, receive it but not install it, install the CA-Cycle tank in its place, and sell the new, never-installed OEM tank to precisely break even on the deal.

... otherwise, you could buy a v-strom or something. Good luck, ride safe, have fun.

I don't think you can get a new tank without swapping the old one. Ducati NA won't comply at least that's my understanding.

A thoroughbred Cafe Racer will ride all night through a fog storm in freeway traffic to put himself into what somebody told him was the ugliest and tightest decreasing-radius turn since Genghis Khan invented the corkscrew. - Hunter S Thompson
Clancy
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:47 pm Reply with quote

That was well said.

I'm looking at an '08 from private owner. He's actually made an appointment with his dealer who is ordering a new tank and is going to coat it before installation. So in view of all the issues, I'm probably starting out about as good as I can get.

I owned a '04 for two years. Of the couple of dozen bikes I've owned it was by far the most fun I've ever had on a motorcycle. That was back when the first Ducti dealer here in San Antonio charged insane money for regular maintainence.

But what weirds me out is when I walk into a dealer and they show me new bikes where the tanks have swollen to the point that they're rubbing against the dampner. That's beyond absurd.

If I knew in a year or two I could buy a replacement tank, even at a $1,000, I'd buy that Ducati I'm looking at today.

And no, there's no V-Strom for me, just can't get excited about one. If its not a Multistrda, then I'm going to spring for a new Triumph 800XC.

But say what you want about the V-Strom's, but first valve adjustment is at 30,000 miles. Maybe a couple of hundred dollars. A Multistrada? Four trips to the dealer at $600 a pop. That just drives me crazy. But I can live with that. But throw in this whole debacle about tanks, and honestly I don't know what to do.

Like dating a supermodel that's also a money spending unpredictable psyco. When it's good, it's great, but when it's bad .....
tmelesky
MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:24 pm Reply with quote

I had a friend who was semi-interested in a Multi and asked me to tell him what he should look for. This is what I told him:

Areas of Concern
1. The gas tank
a. Absorbs water gasoline with ethanol, which attracts water, which is absorbed by the plastic fuel tank, which then expands
b. Low fuel light comes on at 1/2 tank
c. Intake valve guides may experience premature wear
d. Fuel tank can be difficult to top off
e. Stock rear view mirrors/turn signals are structurally weak and easy to break

Mitigation for Areas of Concern
a1. Under class action settlement Ducati replaces all tanks with any symptoms up until this August (I think, settlement attached)
a2. Coat existing or new tank with Caswell, said to prevent tank's absorption of water thru the fuel
a3. Cycle Cat appears to be ready to manufacture a replacement gas tank for $600
b. Install a 2007+ fuel sender, which improves the accuracy
c. Cross fingers. Good excuse for getting some head work done
d1. Ensure air path from tipover valve to fuel filler flows adequate air
d2. Be patient when filling the tank. Top off, rock, top off again
e. After market mirrors/turn signals available. I use bar ends and McGuyvered a turn signal solution

Potential Concerns
1. High bars forces a butt-centric riding position
2. Rear wheel should be checked for ovaled locating holes
3. With 4,500 miles the first major service (4 years/6,000) miles likely hasn't been done. This would include:
a. Change cam belts (I can show you how to do this. Buy belts from California Cycle Works, Utube video)
b. Check valve clearance
b1. I'm no good here. They often need no adjustment. Mine went to 12,000 miles before being checked, no adjustment needed
4. Stock seat is an assbreaker. Ducati makes a "Comfort" seat, Sargent and Corbin make seats
5. Without a centerstand side bags really need optional bag liners to be truly useful
6. Will likely need to install stiffer springs front/rear, especially for two-up with luggage

Why, After All this Should You Still Consider a Multi?
1. Near ideal balance of power, weight, handling, and long-range capability
2. It's a Ducati, goes around corners pretty well
3. Ohlins!
4. Stock brakes are good, can be upgraded to Superbike level brakes
5. Simplicity. It's a grunty air cooled 2 valve motor that has been praised in most (all?) press reviews
6. Cheaper than a Concours
7. Like all Ducati's, there are many after market upgrade options to address EVERY part of the bike!
a. So, if you want something you won't need/want to pay attention to - get a Concours. A Ducati requires and rewards personal involvement
m-johnson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:30 pm Reply with quote

Leo,
That is my understanding from the Austin dealer on the tank swap out. You cannot walk out of the dealership with the new tank or the old, swollen tank.

I keep my tank full in the garage and ride it a couple times every week, so that fuel is moving thru the system on a regular basis. I know that does not guarantee no problems, but letting a bike set up seems to ask for trouble.

Clancy,
Since you are going to start off with a new, good tank, I think you have things in your favor. Use it regularly, don't let it sit with a half full tank and put some of the K100 or other stabilizer in maybe every 3rd or 4th tankful and you will be OK. Hell, you want it. Go for it. You aren't getting any younger.

See you in the Hill Country.

Mark