Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: 2007 1100s maintenance
Jrudin
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:40 am Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a 2007 1100s with approx 10,500 miles. From speaking to the service department the bike should go in every 7500 miles for an $1100 service. This seems awfully high, so I have 2 questions:

1. Does that sound reasonable for maintenance cost and window?
2. I'm NO mechanic, but not afraid to tinker. Are the belt and valve adjustments something a very novice could do at home?

Other than the maintenance costs I love the bike and might pick it up this week.

Thanks!
zookiman
MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:00 am Reply with quote

$1100 is that US dollars?
Tell that shop to go pound Plymouth Rocks up their A$$es!!!
Who the hell do these guys think they are? Moto GP mechanics.
You can buy a good used motor for that.
The belts are about $96 from Ca-CycleWorks.com and it takes a whole 30 mins to install them.
So even at Boston rates that's $200 if they charge a hour labor.
The valves are a pain if you've never done it. It's more than a tinker. (DucatiTech videos)
But for $1100 bucks, it's worth every penny to learn.
I think it took me about 4 hrs the first time I tried.
So lets see...valves 4hrs x $100 hr is $400 shims $50 (maybe) plus $200 belts and $50 for an oil change.
What's that...$700 sounds about right.
Or $96 for belts and $50 for oil and filter and $20 for shims at emsduc.com
What's that....two bills.
1100 bucks...incredible!
Seriously if you owned a shop and where trying to get the citizens of your wonderful historical patriotic city to ride and enjoy Ducati's
Would you tell a potential customer...yep we're gonna stick it in deep and break it off every 7500 miles ole boy so lube up?
Sorry...
I get carried away when I hear stories like this.
I'm trying to encourage folks to ride more. Enjoy owning a simple machine that you can learn to maintain. A hobby you can share with all members of the family. Then you hear a shop telling a future owner he needs a second job so he can support their pension plan. We're gonna charge you three times what it's worth because people expect that from Ducati.
HorseShyte!!!
Are we gonna have to start dumping Harleys in the harbor to get these dealers attention?
We need a revolution!!!

Tell that SOB you'll buy that jewel (and it is) if he'll give you the first two services free.
That's two valve sets and a belt change.
If he says no then wave goodbye and go talk to a Suzuki dealer or Honda.

I didn't mean to go off like that, it just pisses me off.
You go find a bike and enjoy that beautiful scenery up there.
Take care and happy hunting

Anthony's Pier One! Amore... Dance

2020 Hypermotard 950sp OMFG!!!!
m-johnson
MTS: 2008 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:21 pm Reply with quote

I agree with Zooki. Plus the belts are changed every 15k miles or 2 years, so the intermitant service will be less. You might look for an independent shop that has a Duc trained mechanic. There are a couple like that here in Austin.
Good luck. They are incredibly fun bikes to ride.

Mark
mollycbr123
MTS: 2010 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:43 pm Reply with quote

That's about what I've paid for major services on all the Ducs I've owned. To me, it's just part of ownership. Talk to the dealer again. If you do some of the basic stuff, he may charge less for, say, just a valve check/adjust alone. A set fee for an 'xxxx mile major service' includes a lot of inspecting and stuff you can do, even with minimal skills.

I grew up wrenching on my bikes, but I pretty much quit doing everything beyond basic maintenance (fluids, etc.) about the time carburetors started going away. Now I just want to ride, and will let the dealer wrench on the bikes once or twice a year.

'12 Multistrada S Touring
Yes, I do miss my air cooled multi...
Brand spanking new '16 Thruxton R
Jrudin
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:20 pm Reply with quote

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback!

This week I'm heading to another Duc dealer and will compare maintenance costs. I also have a buddy from work with a Duc and I believe works on his engine. If he can pass on any knowledge it will help with the maintenance.

I'd hate to pass up a beautiful bike on account of service fees!

I'll let you know if I "join the club" Wink
Twotone
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:31 am Reply with quote

Jrudin wrote:
Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a 2007 1100s with approx 10,500 miles. From speaking to the service department the bike should go in every 7500 miles for an $1100 service. This seems awfully high, so I have 2 questions:

1. Does that sound reasonable for maintenance cost and window?
2. I'm NO mechanic, but not afraid to tinker. Are the belt and valve adjustments something a very novice could do at home?

Other than the maintenance costs I love the bike and might pick it up this week.

Thanks!

that is hi, but at 7500 mile intervals it is only a minor service, which should be far less than the gold you were quoted, with the 15000 being Major.

you needn't miss out on the bike, the service stigma on these bikes is B.S. like steveB said, you could do nearly all the services yourself including belt change, if in doubt with valve check/adjust get a mech' to do just that, and it all depends on how many miles you do per year, as to cost. if you love the bike after testing it, buy it, lose the dealer, and start enjoying motorcycling like no other.

TT

YA gunna ride, then do it on a L twin, just as the doctor ordered (Dr Tag-L-ioni that is)

MTS'08- MIA