Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Purchasing MTS 620 without a test ride
Goto page 1, 2  Next
tungsten
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:31 pm Reply with quote

Remember, there are no dumb questions..except this one perhaps Embarassed

The question:

I have never ridden a Multi620 (or motorcycle for that part...see background below), but I have the opportunity to purchase the last Multi 620 at my local dealer. Given the fact that there will be no 2007 Multi's how ridiculously impractical, unwise, and generally stupid would it be to purchase this bike un-demo'ed? The dealer has offered to store it for me for free until Spring, when the city has thawed...and I have taken my rider safety course..

So...
background:

I am an *aspiring* first time rider (I will be taking the rider's safety course this spring) and I have made a preliminary decision that the Multi 620 will be my first ride. Briefly, my decision is based in part on the incredible aesthetics of the bike and in part because of my size (6'5, 250). My criteria for a first bike are: aesthetics, accomodating for my frame, upright riding position, adequate power for a new rider, and the usual assorted grab bag of quality, reliability...wife approval Wink , etc. I have sat on a variety of rides and with my requirements of staying beneath 1000cc engines I am pretty locked into the Multi. (I really dig it more than the f650 dakar, Weestrom, triumph scrambler, and other accomodating bikes)

Thanks in advance....
Cheers
drkms620
MTS: 2006 620 Dark (Flat black)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:59 pm Reply with quote

Tungsten,
I too am a new rider and just after finishing the MSF course I purchased an '06 620 MTS without riding one (or any other bike for that matter) for most of the same reasons you quoted. I'm 5'-10", 185lbs and I find the bike to be just a little tall for the 'leg-over' test but comfortable once I'm underway. Being so tall you might have some complaints about wind buffeting and I have a suspicion you'll be yearing for a little more uumph once you have some miles under your belt (I'm already starting to feel the that way and I'm 70lbs less than you). Otherwise you can't go wrong with the MTS - it's beautiful piece of machinery and engineering.

On the subject of test rides, one of the young ladies in my office talked the local HD dealer into test-riding a Sportster and she dropped it in the parking lot and caused $1033 worth of damage. They offered to deduct that from the purchase of any bike in thier inventory but she wasnt ready to buy just yet so out came the credit card...

Best of luck,
Dave

'06 Multistrada Dark
pmf-racing.com
Steve B
MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:20 pm Reply with quote

Everybody has different circumstances when they start riding. You're making a wise move to take the riders course, but I'd recommend holding off on buying the bike until you've completed it. If your financial situation is such that it won't matter to you if you dole out a thousand or two dollars when you drop it (you will), maybe go ahead. Bike plastics are not cheap and especially for Ducatis. It's usually best if you start out on a used bike. If you outgrow it or want something else after you've improved your skills, you can sell it for about what you bought it for. You'll likely be able to find 620 Multistradas next year. If you're in a place to, riding dirtbikes is a fantastic way to learn riding or continue to hone your skills, and almost unparalleled fun.

Another example of why I'd recommend waiting to buy: The plant manager where I work is a textbook example of an adult wanting to get into riding at a later age and going about it the right way. A couple years ago he was nearing 50 and decided he wanted to start riding. He and I talked bikes a lot and he read and read about them. He could tell you every statistic on about every bike made and had decided what all riding gear he was going to buy, but had never ridden before. He figured he better hold off on spending any money until he had taken the MSF course first though. As it happens, he had a totally different experience than he expected. He immediately dropped the 250 they had him on and told me he found shifting a motorcycle surprisingly harder than a car. While he finished the course, he decided motorcycles weren't for him. He was only out the cost of the course. I realize this story sounds discouraging, but I just want to give an example of what can happen and why it might not be a good idea to buy a relatively expensive motorcycle before you even know if you like riding.
dlorenz
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:27 pm Reply with quote

I too am a new rider and purchased the 620 back in August as my very first bike, despite everybody telling me how crazy I was. Since this was my first bike, I wanted to purchase a bike that I would learn on and not outgrow as I didn't want to be buying and selling bikes every time I was ready for "the next step". My husband and I definitely shopped around and looked at all the bikes both smaller and in comparison to the 620, but I kept coming back to the 620. It fits me perfectly: narrow saddle, my feet are on the ground, handlebars are within reach, it's not too much engine to handle given my inexperience, and besides, my husband and I can ride it 2-up without overloading it. Everyone told me how crazy I was as it's an expensive bike to fix should I really dump it; but knock on wood, I haven't dumped it yet and don't expect to anytime soon. In addition to riding the back roads whenever I can, I use it to commute via hwy 101, a couple of days a week in Southern CA, (north of LA, so not too bad with traffic jams and no, I'm not splitting lanes) and it's been a great bike to learn on. I do not expect to outgrow it anytime soon and suspect I'll own it for quite some time.

Good luck, Teri

p.s. I took the MSF course and found it to be quite helpful, now if they just had some courses to learn how to perfect the curves on those awesome back country roads.
archkevinbrown
MTS: 2006 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:17 pm Reply with quote

I'm another who bought an MTS 620 without ever having ridden a motorbike! What is it with these things?

Steve's story reminded me of a beginner's ski lesson a long time ago. There was a middle-aged woman in our group, and the instructor was having to help her out a lot. At one point she said "I don't like the way they keep sliding" Shocked So the instructor simply said "Well, if you don't like sliding, you're not going to like skiing, so maybe you should reconsider doing this." So, if you do buy the bike unridden (like I did) I hope you like to roll!

If you find you like to ride, you'll find you LOVE your Multi.

I know Steve is trying to counsel prudence, but it's not THAT likely that you'll wreck your bike before you get comfortable. Frankly, it surprised me that the bikes at MSS were so banged up, because no one in my class even came close to dropping theirs. They're so low and little, it seemed so unlikely. Now if we'd been riding Multistradas, I'm sure we would have been dropping them right and left! In 2000+ miles, I dropped mine once so far, but the damage was so minimal, you have to look hard to find it (slight abrasion to underside of one pannier).

Just remember to get frame sliders.

'09 Suzuki DR650 Nameless 9/'10 - 5/'11
'08 Aprilia RSV Lara, aka Silver Lion 3/'10 - current
scram
MTS: 2006 620 (Black)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:25 pm Reply with quote

I 'learned' on a Honda CB750 - a heck of a lot bigger and heavier than a 620. I moved on to a Yama XS 1100 - even bigger still. Now I have my 620 MTS which I bough unridden etc etc. Nice, friendly, light, forgiving, bike.

Saying everyone is going to drop their bike is BS. Yes a lot of people have, and yes most inexperienced riders will, but not EVERYONE! I have dropped ONE bike, once, when I was 17 my first bike and I didn't put the kickstand down when I got off (Me = Dumbass). I grabbed it halfway to the ground but it was just too heavy - no damage anyway. This had nothing to do with riding poorly or being unable to handle the bike I was just an idiot.

Anyway I've had my little rant. Getting on a bike and riding (i.e. the course) is really the best way to decide. I wouldn't get anything until then. Once you have completed the course - go buy the 620.

82 CB 750K - someone wanted it more than me
81 XS 11 Special - 2nd gear repaired and unleashed again!
06 MTS 620 - SOLD...
10 MTS 1200S Adventure

Wifeys - 08 Ninja 250R w sparkly hot pink luggage!

Normal is a hairdryer setting!
ge360

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:37 pm Reply with quote

I ordered mine 2 months before they hit the States. No test ride, no leg-over, no regrets.

I'm 5'10" and still get wind at the top of the helmet even with the Laminar Lip screen, but the wind doesn't bother me, but the bugs do. I do ride occassionaly with a pillion, total weight ~300 lbs, hasn't been a problem, but I'm tend to be cautious with her on back.

good luck

'06 MTS620; adopted and picture perfect

"Its only a problem if you stop"
paolano
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:04 pm Reply with quote

first bike also- I agree with scram-took the msf this past June.-budget did not allow me too jump from bike too bike specially when your 6ft6 240lb .so bought a mts 1000sds used 590 miles 05.- I don't ride thinking I am going to drop this bike-I just ride ! keep very aware of my surroundings and speed
Steve B
MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:48 pm Reply with quote

scram wrote:

Saying everyone is going to drop their bike is BS. Yes a lot of people have, and yes most inexperienced riders will, but not EVERYONE!

Yeah...I suppose I exagerated saying you will drop the bike. For sure some won't, but as you say Scram, most will. When I said that, I meant it to make a point that until you've lived with a bike for a while, there's a good chance it's going to get dinged up.
ge360

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:32 am Reply with quote

Steve B wrote:
scram wrote:

Saying everyone is going to drop their bike is BS. Yes a lot of people have, and yes most inexperienced riders will, but not EVERYONE!

Yeah...I suppose I exagerated saying you will drop the bike. For sure some won't, but as you say Scram, most will. When I said that, I meant it to make a point that until you've lived with a bike for a while, there's a good chance it's going to get dinged up.

yes, but its a good line to get a babe on the back. (I've been down, scars and x-rays to prove it.) Oh, yes I was inexperienced. Damn shame to scratch up such a nice bike.

"It's been pre-disastered. We're going to be safe here" - T.S. Garp

'06 MTS620; adopted and picture perfect

"Its only a problem if you stop"
rummaggio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:52 am Reply with quote

tungsten,

I had never ridden a motorcycle though raced many years on a bicycle (road, mtb, track and cross.) About to hit forty and decided to start my mid-life adventure early. Instead of the classic muscle car, I opted for the Ducati. Went to look at them at our local dealer and decided to buy it on the spot. I paid for it the next day because the interest rate would be lowered if I had a learners permit (yup, got it the next morning.)

Bought Duc on a Friday, went on vacation for a week. Came back and did the MSF course. My MTS was delivered before I completed my course, but did not ride it until afterward. Have not looked back since - go for it.

Getting on the MTS is like taking the training wheels on my bike when I was a kid. The exhileration never stops. My girlfriend gets on the back and it reminds me of the first time I rode a chick on my schwinn handlebars. Buy the bike, take the course, ride and be safe.

all the best
Activator
MTS: 2006 620 (Black)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:54 pm Reply with quote

When I hit the magical age of 40, I also decided that a bike was the way to go. I read every book, magazine and web site I could find, researched, planned, drooled, and eventually bought an Aprilia Pegaso (650 single dual-sport, the F650's "Italian cousin") without having ridden anything more than a scooter in Bermuda.

I got the bike in January ('02) along with my learner permit, and VERY cautiously rode on quiet back streets around my house for a few months until I took the MSF in April. The MSF was awesome, and I really felt "ready" once I completed it.

A year later, I was tired of the under-powered "Peg", and lusted after a "real" bike... a BMW R1100S. Woo Hooo. I picked up the S in October of '03. Wow. What a bike. I fell in love at first sight and bought it despite the fact that it was pretty uncomfortable on my test ride. I had to have it. 2 years and many happy, but VERY uncomfortable miles later, I realized that I wanted something more comfortable, a little smaller, lighter... something I'd take to the Post Office as well as on fast back roads and light touring. (The "S" was, in my mind, ONLY for fast backroads and long distances).

So I test-rode the MTS (1000 and 620). Came back the next day and test rode them both again... and bought the 620. The 1000 is awesome, but the 620 has plenty of power for me (this, coming from an 1100), and is actually a little more comfortable for me (I'm 6'4", 200 or so). It just "fits" me better.

Well, it's 8 months later, and I have NO regrets. I miss the R1100S for it's looks, but the 620 has fully grown on me, I am SO much more comfortable on it, and I ride it more because I feel like I can take it anywhere.

As for dropping the bike. I did drop my S once. A. because it weighs 550 lbs, and B. the stupid servo-assited brakes "caught" as I was making a U-turn in my driveway... the cylinder head got a little scuffed, but that was it. As for the 620, with your size, tungsten, I don't think you'll have ANY trouble with the bike. I can do pretty much anything with the 620 without fear of dropping it. It's very well balanced and manageable.

In conclusion, if I had bought the 620 as my first bike, it would have been my only bike. It is nearly the perfect bike for a 1st time rider, and is a bike you will not outgrow for a long time.

2001 Aprilia "Pegaso" - Blue - Sold
clockwork orange
MTS: 2005 620 (Orange)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:01 pm Reply with quote

I bought mine before they even made one. Put down a deposit a week after it was announced. Wouldn't have anything else - not even the 1000!!
Steve
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:40 pm Reply with quote

Go for it Wink You will always outgrow your first bike anyway, so, nothing to lose.
Bernout

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:56 pm Reply with quote

Unless you are absolutely certain that motorcycle riding is for you, I'd add yet another recommendation to take the MSF course first before buying one. Of course if money is no object then why not? Laughing

I got the 620 as my first bike and absolutely love it. This was after I took the MSF course and had a ton of fun doing it. Well, except for all the class room stuff. Razz

Bernout
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger Top