Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Noob questions <------ here.
Chefbrad
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:33 am Reply with quote

My cycling experience or inexperience rather is limited to my teenage years with the ol' XR200 in the gravel pit and on trails behind my parents house. I want to get into road bikes and am really not interested in anything except the Multi. I love the looks and the safe comfortable upright riding position.

I have gone to the dealer and sat on the 07's. The 620's are all sold out They suggested I take a riding course at a local community college (of which I was going to do anyway). I'm just wondering if the 1100 engine is going to prove difficult too learn on.

Also....

Is this process like buying a car?

Do I test drive it?

Can I haggle with the salesperson?

Do I try to find an '06 620?

I'm 5'10 205lbs and a bit out of shape.

Being new, will I even notice the difference between the standards and S models?

Thanks for your help in advance. I will be buying a bike this summer after I move.

Chefbrad.
ge360
MTS: 2006 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:02 am Reply with quote

Brad, I got one of the first 620s when they made it to the States. There are still some leftovers at different dealers if you want to hunt one out or used is always an option. I did about the same thing. I saw the Multi, read about it, then never looked at anything else.

My buying experience was "How much?" "Okay"

I didn't do a test ride. Waited 2 months for delivery.

I'm the same height and 190. For a noob or long layed off rider like I was, the 620 has plenty of power. My only problem is keeping up with daredevils. I was out this weekend with 2 1000s and a GS1200 on a twisty route. The 620 will keep you with anyone, if you're so inclined.

Can't help with the other ?s since I haven't ridden the 1000 or S.

Good luck, you're going to love it.

'06 MTS620; adopted and picture perfect

"Its only a problem if you stop"
nukeproof

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:40 am Reply with quote

If you still want a 620; Life Cycle in Kalamazoo has a "Yuckello" or I mean a yellow one. I think the price is $6,999.

MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:52 am Reply with quote

A 1000 or 1100 is NOT a bike for learing to ride on the street. Get yourself a 620.

$6,999 for a 620 is a sweet deal for a sweet bike. Everyone who has a 620 raves about it.
estager
MTS: 2006 620 Dark (Flat black)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:51 am Reply with quote

I bought a new '06 620 dark about a month ago in western NY. The dealer got the bike from NH but said there was still some color 620's left at the warehouse in NJ. I paid $6500 for the dark and he quoted $7000 for a colored one. I'd call a few different dealers before accepting that there are no new 620's left. Good luck!
AirborneDucati
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:20 pm Reply with quote

Chefbrad wrote:

Do I test drive it?

Being new, will I even notice the difference between the standards and S models?

Thanks for your help in advance. I will be buying a bike this summer after I move.

Chefbrad.

Yes it is like buying a car. Yes you test drive it. You have to know if the bike will fit you. A monster is too small for me. The MTS fits perfectly. You can only know how a bike will feel if you ride it and every bike is different. An MTS may not fit you at all (it is a tall bike).

Yes you haggle with the salesperson. Don't pay the asking price, ever. If you can walk out of there with tax, tag, title, freight, and all their other add-ons paying what they had on the sticker then you've done ok.

(example: They put a $10,000 price on the bike, then all that other jazz can cost another $1000. What you are paying is now $11,000. If you can walk out of there with paying just $10,000 you didn't do too badly.)

I drove an S and a regular DS model and couldn't tell the difference in street riding. You probably would only notice if you are an experienced aggressive rider. The DS suspension is more than adequate.

My suggestion is start with the 620, ride it for a few years, and as you get better and need more performance/speed, trade up.

I am 6'2" and the 1000 is tall even for me. At 5'10" it could be too tall for you to sit on comfortably, esp if you ever found yourself facing uphill at a stop light Smile

Good luck. And take the safety courses.
Chefbrad
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:27 pm Reply with quote

Hey guys thanks for the tips.

I went to another dealer today they have red 620 in the warehouse. The gave me a ball park quote of mid 7's. With side hard and top panniers, arai helmet, ducati jacket, sidi boots, gloves sliders etc, out the door for 10K.

Is this a good deal? It seems like it is.

Again thanks for all of your advise.

Chefbrad.
mb10039

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:46 pm Reply with quote

You should be able to get that red 620 for under 7500- I know because I did and I know of at least two others who bought for that price as well.

Out the door with all that gear sounds like a good deal- if you need or want all that stuff! (Then again maybe i'm just jealous since I could swing the cash for my MTS but now I am looking at the swag one bit at a time!)

Bottom line- grab the Multi for sure, you won't regret it!

Good luck,
mike
archkevinbrown

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:07 pm Reply with quote

Chefbrad wrote:
Hey guys thanks for the tips.

I went to another dealer today they have red 620 in the warehouse. The gave me a ball park quote of mid 7's. With side hard and top panniers, arai helmet, ducati jacket, sidi boots, gloves sliders etc, out the door for 10K.

Is this a good deal? It seems like it is.

Again thanks for all of your advise.

Chefbrad.

Sounds pretty good. Last summer I got just $500 off list, with panniers (no top case) and sliders added and TT&L all processed and included and it came to $10k. All the gear and topcase could easily be worth $1,500, so I'd say that makes your deal equivalent to about $2000 off list.

'09 Suzuki DR650 Nameless 9/'10 - 5/'11
'08 Aprilia RSV Lara, aka Silver Lion 3/'10 - current
Scrambles
MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:00 pm Reply with quote

nevermind
Embarassed

MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:33 pm Reply with quote

Chefbrad wrote:
My cycling experience or inexperience rather is limited to my teenage years with the ol' XR200 in the gravel pit and on trails behind my parents house. I want to get into road bikes and am really not interested in anything except the Multi. I love the looks and the safe comfortable upright riding position.

I have gone to the dealer and sat on the 07's. The 620's are all sold out They suggested I take a riding course at a local community college (of which I was going to do anyway). I'm just wondering if the 1100 engine is going to prove difficult too learn on.

Also....

Do I test drive it?

Chefbrad.

get a used one. You'll sell it before you'll break it.

2005 Red Ducati Multistrada "la signorina"
2003 Blue Suzuki DR650 "il muletto"
potomacduc
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:32 pm Reply with quote

There are so many 620s out there for sale both used and new it's ridiculous. It's rather easy to find them. Please buy 20 of them so I don't have to keep wading through all of the 620 ads while looking for a 1000.

On to your question, get the 620. You will be able to handle it, but it is also a nice enough bike that you might not outgrow it. Unike other bikes that are suitable for people with little experience, the 620 manages to please many experienced riders as well. It is not a disposable, beginners only bike.

Last edited by potomacduc on Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
doctor bob
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:56 pm Reply with quote

nukeproof wrote:
If you still want a 620; Life Cycle in Kalamazoo has a "Yuckello" or I mean a yellow one. I think the price is $6,999.

Say, what??? Mad

'03 Giallo Multistrada 1000DS
robhar54

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:41 pm Reply with quote

potomacduc wrote:
On to your question, get the 620. You will be able to handle it, but it is also a nice enough bike that you might not outgrow it. Unike other bikes that are suitable for people with little experience, the 620 manages to please many experienced riders as well. It is not a disposable, beginners only bike.

I agree. I've been riding for nine years, 100,000 miles+, and after owning a 900SS and 916 among other bikes, I chose a 620 Multi over an 1100. The $7,000 difference in price was certainly a factor, but I don't feel like I'm giving up much if anything motorwise. Having a smaller motor just means you can whack the throttle open with more abandon. Which means more fun! I do wish there was an "S" version of the 620, to get the Ohlins front and rear.

As to bike choice in general, I'd go along with someone up there who suggested you get a used bike. Spend $3,000-$4,000. Choose wisely and it'll last you. My first bike was a '78 Yamaha SR500 I got for $1,000 in 1998. I still have it, and it's still a complete blast to ride. And yes, I dropped it in the first year...the first time I went over 70mph I was so excited I forgot to put my foot down when I stopped! Smile

Rob
udukeshere
MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:55 pm Reply with quote

when my X wanted to learn we found a Kawasaki 440 LTD in decent shape for $400. She road it 2 years and we got $600 trading it in.

Cant beat that and if you drop it all you worry about is you.

Dan

The past led you to where you are today. Your choice to make it part of your present depends whether it'll help your tomorrow. Sometimes, for the sake of the future, it's better to keep the past in the past